X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help

I have a 1980 gs550e...
    Here's the story:
    I got the bike last Tuesday. The guy drove it to me so I know it is a running bike (guy said the only problem he ever had with it in the 8-9 mo. he had it was he had to get a new regulator-which he got 1 week before I got the bike). It was low on fuel so i added some, but found out that i grabbed the old stuff so on Wednesday I siphoned it out. Thursday I added premium fuel and seafoam and jumped the bike from a car (did not turn car on for obvious reasons) because the battery appeared to be dead hence the not working light. Bike then ran fine. Rode around for a while.
    Friday I rode it for a lil bit.
    Saturday I cleaned some minor rust with colonel brassy (nice n shiny now). But I didn't ride.
    Sunday (yesterday), I didn't get a chance to start bike until later and it was cold. The bike wouldn't turn over - the starter will click but it makes a sputtering noise...hard to describe because my vocab isn't the greatest...
    Today, Monday, I jumped it from my car and had it running once jumped for a good 5-6 minutes (in neutral). Then I put it in first and try to ride it but it stalls. So I think ok no big deal I just let the clutch out too fast. So I try it again, it starts, and I make it all of 5 feet outside my garage and it stalls...
    I don't get it.
    I added a lil oil thinking maybe it's low. I used the choke when I'm starting. Engine cut off is switched to run when I start. There is no "off" position on the petcock so I don't have to worry about that...
    I just don't get what's wrong...
    Can anyone help me?????

Most of the trouble is your discharged battery. Either replace battery with new or charge battery and see if it holds a charge. Without enough current, the coils will not send enough spark to promote ignition. More than likely, previous owner had to jump battery in order to get bike to your house since bike sat over winter. Start with good battery voltage, then worry about other issues.

Comment

Start with a New Battery. Then go to the Stator Papers in the Garage section of the GSR Home page and go over the charging system. A new RR won't help if the Stator is bad. Good Luck and welcome to the World of Old bike Ownership.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Third the battery.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sometimes, when the rectifier/regulator on these dies, other things go with them. And the demise of the R/R is often related to high resistance connections. So cleaning all of the electrical connections would be a good idea.

A Clymers manual for your bike will help, too. About $25 from any good book store.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

An ounce of prevention...

Hi Mr. redhotspike,

A agree with the wisdom above. Start with a known good, fully charged battery and go through the Stator Papers to determine if/where your charging troubles are. Clean all of the electrical connections and ground connections in the entire wiring harness, from the headlight bucket to the tail light. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it won't take that long. And you will have a much more reliable bike for it. Don't forget to take the ground wire from the regulator/rectifier and connect it directly to the negative terminal of the battery.

Just to let you know, my bike was running perfectly when I bought it. Just a few months later I started having charging issues. Over the next couple of months I replaced the r/r, the stator, and the battery. Life is good now.

It's good that the car is off when you jump your bike, no blown fuses or melted electrical parts on your bike. How long do you let it idle with the choke on while it warms up? In cooler weather I will let mine warm up for at least a couple of minutes. By then the idle starts to creep up and I can gradually close the choke so that the engine idles around 2000rpm. Then I can take off and finish closing the choke after I've gone a couple of miles down the road.

Check the mega-welcome page for lots of pertinent links. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you guys. You all really offer some great help - I'll take everyone's advice and put it to good use. Wish me luck as I delve into wires! lol at least I like electricity and don't mind a shock here and there.

Comment

Working...
              X