A very scary adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very scary adventure

On April 1 I started a very scary adventure. I pulled the valve cover off my 78 GS750B and started checking the valve clearance. While waiting for parts and tools I pulled the carbs, disassembled and cleaned them.

Well, here it is, two weeks later. Over the last two weeks parts and tools have trickled in and money has trickled out. I've spent an hour here and two hours there scrubbing and dipping and cleaning and measuring and planning and swearing and worrying. Many questions have been asked and answered on this forum.

So...today...The valve cover is on...the carbs are on...and...IT STARTED!!!

I am SO happy I could...well...I don't know what. Cry maybe...shout out loud maybe...hug somebody...come here and give me a big hug

A part of me was worried that I was going to ruin the whole motorcycle and it would never run again.

I still have some tweaking to do: carb sync, color-tune, plug chops, etc, but I can already tell it runs a lot better. The throttle response is much better than before and it idles at 1000 rpm like a sewing machine.

I'll keep you posted on the fine tuning (and the hoped-for gas mileage improvement) but just wanted to share and say thanks to all those who've answered questions and commented along the way.

YOU ROCK! \\/
    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Good job! Congrats!! Ray.

Comment

Congrats man Hope my re-assembly goes as smoothly8-[

Comment

About to join you, though less scary than it would have been a month ago. Carbs rebuilt, jetted, suspension work, fluid changes, ingnition parts, tons of work done, but no part of the engine has ever come apart. This weekend is valve adjustment and carb sync. The first time I pop that cover all alone in the garage and shove a twist tie down the plug hole I bet little beads of sweat break out.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
          On April 1 I started a very scary adventure. I pulled the valve cover off my 78 GS750B and started checking the valve clearance. While waiting for parts and tools I pulled the carbs, disassembled and cleaned them.

Well, here it is, two weeks later. Over the last two weeks parts and tools have trickled in and money has trickled out. I've spent an hour here and two hours there scrubbing and dipping and cleaning and measuring and planning and swearing and worrying. Many questions have been asked and answered on this forum.

So...today...The valve cover is on...the carbs are on...and...IT STARTED!!!

I am SO happy I could...well...I don't know what. Cry maybe...shout out loud maybe...hug somebody...come here and give me a big hug

A part of me was worried that I was going to ruin the whole motorcycle and it would never run again.

I still have some tweaking to do: carb sync, color-tune, plug chops, etc, but I can already tell it runs a lot better. The throttle response is much better than before and it idles at 1000 rpm like a sewing machine.

I'll keep you posted on the fine tuning (and the hoped-for gas mileage improvement) but just wanted to share and say thanks to all those who've answered questions and commented along the way.

YOU ROCK! \\/
          that first kick over after alot of work is.. amazing. it's like christmas morning as a kid, isn't it? :-D

Comment

Nice work!

Hi Mr. gbw,

Congratulations! Thanks for the update. I'm happy it was good news. Now you'll get to share your experience with others in the forum. You'll be a motorcycle mechanic yet! :-D

I'm still learning too. 8-[

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X