Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ what rpm to sync?

Hey Folks:

Can anyone tell me which rpm I should use to sync the carbs on my 1981 GS1100E?

as low as you can go is ideal(i think). wait until someone that knows what they are talking about comes by.

Comment

I sync my carbs at around 4000rpm. That's where your carbs come off the pilot circuit and start running on the main jets.

Comment

thanks Tom

Comment

Originally posted by dtkid View Post
          Can anyone tell me which rpm I should use to sync the carbs on my 1981 GS1100E?
          Originally posted by catbed View Post
          as low as you can go is ideal(i think).
          Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
          I sync my carbs at around 4000rpm.
          As you can see, you will get several different answers, and mine is different, as well. The Suzuki manual (and maybe the others, too) says to do it between 1500-2000 rpm. Personally, I prefer to do it at idle, 1000-1200 rpm. My theory is that is where small differences between throttle openings is most pronounced. Vacuum levels will change as the rpm rises, but will remain rather close.

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
          That's where your carbs come off the pilot circuit and start running on the main jets.
          That would depend on throttle opening more than rpm. I am sure you can get 4000 showing on the tach in neutral, and still be on the pilot circuit. On the other hand, you can probably get into the main circuit with a handful of throttle at 2000 rpm, so rpm is not the deciding factor on when the jets transition from one circuit to another. Also, I don't think which circuit is feeding the fuel has anything to do with carb sync. The whole purpose is to get all the throttle butterflies to open the same amount, at the same time.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I found I'd get different vacuum differences depending on the RPM. The right two cylinders would pull harder at idle and the left two would pull harder at high RPMs. I tried syncing at 3k and at 1700, and the bike felt MUCH smoother synced at 1700.

(The 550ES is a bit strange though--two double barreled carbs with only one sync adjuster.)

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
              I tried syncing at 3k and at 1700, and the bike felt MUCH smoother synced at 1700.
              Gee, I wonder if maybe Suzuki might have had a good guess on where to do it? 8-[

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

uh, yeah, throttle position determines which circuit you are on, NOT rpm
                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
                X