Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Stator Riddle: Electrosport = RM Stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Stator Riddle: Electrosport = RM Stator?

This may be interesting . . . . I recently purchased a RM Stator for my GS1000E on Fleabay for $92.00 by using the Make an Offer button. RM Stator is located in Ayers Cliff, Canada. I just received the package today, opened it up and the P/N is ESG020 . . . yeah so what. Well since I was shopping around I knew I had seen that P/N before and sure enough P/N ESG020 is the identical Electrosport P/N for the same GS1000 application.

The Installation Instructions are identical as well . . .

I think its safe to say these companies products are one and the same, at least in this specific GS1000 application.

What do you think Mr. Basscliff?
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Hi Mr. srsupertrap,

I received an Electrosport stator from Bikebandit a couple days ago. The windings on it seemed to be made of thinner wire than what I remember on the RMStator part. I'll be working on my stator tomorrow. I'll take a couple of side-by-side pics so we can compare.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi Mr. srsupertrap,

I received an Electrosport stator from Bikebandit a couple days ago. The windings on it seemed to be made of thinner wire than what I remember on the RMStator part. I'll be working on my stator tomorrow. I'll take a couple of side-by-side pics so we can compare.

BassCliff
      The Electrosport picture looks exactly the same as the RM Stator unit I received: identical Yellow wires & Blue epoxy covering the windings.
      Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
        The Electrosport picture looks exactly the same as the RM Stator unit I received: identical Yellow wires & Blue epoxy covering the windings.
        Hi Mr. srsupertrap,

A lot of online vendors use the same pictures that are not necessarily those of the actual part. Maybe they're both getting their parts from the same Chinese manufacturers? I seem to remember my RMStator being a darker shade of blue than this new Electrosport part I have.

Is this where to get a real Electrex part? http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/

I don't like working two jobs. It makes me wait too long to fix my Jessie.

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2008, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Quite a few people have had issues with electrosport stators it seems. I hope they are not cheapening out on us, OEM is SO expensive and there are not too many options out there.

I'm inclined to buy magnet wire and rewind one. There are instructions on the GSR for doing so. You can use quality wire and carefully seal it with epoxy.

I have a spare stator, if mine goes I think I would try it before buying another, not much to lose but time.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
            Quite a few people have had issues with electrosport stators it seems. I hope they are not cheapening out on us, OEM is SO expensive and there are not too many options out there.
            I would concur with BassCliff that these two companies are purchasing from the same reverse engineered Chinese manufacturer which of course guarantees nothing but quality problems for all of us. I wonder if anyone has a good Electrosport contact to find out?

My ESG020 Stator only came with three yellow leads, the OEM has 5 to support the individual GS1000 Rectifer & Regulator. This is not a problem for me since I already switched to a R&R unit but for the uninformed this might cause problems. I could imagine the Tech Support call . . . That's normal just go in there and splice & solder two extra wires and you will be okay.

Comment

Jessie back on the road!

Hi Mr. srsupertrap,

I worked on Jessie all day yesterday. Replaced the stator, r/r, and changed the oil. Here is a picture of the old RMStator on the left and the new Electrosport on the right:

(Does it look like the insulation has been melted off some of the windings?)

Of course they look very similar, but there are some differences too. For example, the Electrosport part had shorter wires. They didn't quite reach to the middle of the left sidecover where all the electrical stuff is. You'd think they could give you and extra 6 inches. But the RMStator part has neater windings. The Electrosport windings look a little random, not as "dressed" - if you know what I mean.

I installed it along with a "new" r/r from Mr. duaneage, cleaned all my connections in the charging system - even the ground connection on the back side of the motor - and she fired right up. I got 13v at the battery terminals while idling. At 4000 rpm I got a little more voltage than is stated on The Stator Papers so I'm going to do some more troubleshooting just to be sure I don't fry any more charging components.

I'll be shipping my RMStator back to them tomorrow. We'll see how they handle their warranty.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

(
                I was doing the same operation as well and polishing the Stator case. The RM stator I purchased looks the same as the Electrosport on the right so I have a couple of more questions in this investigation.

1) How far up does the braided sheath extend? The RM Stator I purchased has a white sheath as well but the sheath does not extend all the way up to the half moon rubber grommet.

2) Does the Electrosport Stator come with half moon rubber grommet? The RM Stator did not ??? :shock: I had to reuse the OEM.

3) The RM Stator has three 16 Gage yellow wires. Visually they appear identical to the Electrosport.

Testing: IMO 13.0 V is excellent at idle. I wouldn't worry at all about 14.5V at 4000 - 5000 RPM.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                X