This is your shaftie without lube...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSJohn View Post
    Don't tell me that thing just pops out easily.....
    Yup. Just use a flat head screw driver to pop it out carefully. Its simply setting in bosses sheathed in rubber cushions. No bolts holding it in except the retaining clips there on the outside. I think its 6? Simple to get off.

Comment

Bumping an old thread because it seems appropriate.
      I did a search for "Moly 60" to read up on it and I liked this thread. And I called a Honda shop about 5 miles away from me and they've got the Honda Moly60 for ten bucks. I went to two auto parts places and they had never heard of moly60. One guy looked it up in a book and is having some delivered, but I'ma go with the Honda place 5 miles away.

Originally posted by GSJohn View Post
      24K on my 81 8-[ I have a new tire for it but was hoping to get a couple thousand more miles out of the one that is on there now. I had better have a practice session on removing the rear wheel and inspecting the splines...then try to resist the temptation to put on the new rubber. Did anybody notice anything funny such as clunking or noticeable excessive backlash in the rear drive when up on the centerstand before you discovered the problem? Mine feels fine and makes no noises. It does feel like it has more resistance to freewheeling than I would have thought. [-o<
      My splines were toast at 24,000 miles, too, and I experienced that funny clunking GSJohn described. Riding along and it suddenly felt like I picked up a rubber marble and let it clunk around inside the wheel for 5-10 seconds and then disappeared. I went to a bike mechanic but he was unable to duplicate the problem.
      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

I pulled mine at 18k miles and only used bearing grease on the outside and later learned my mistake. When I was going to change the tire at 30k miles i found a black spline to have on hand just in case, luckily the stock one was in perfect condition but I swapped it anyways and used the honda moly60 stuff.

So if anyone finds out the hard way about this and needs a spline let me know, but preventing it is really the way to go.

Comment

Working...
        X