Wrong forum I know, but finally a pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong forum I know, but finally a pic

I finally got a (somewhat crappy) pic of my bike as it sits in a friend's garage awaiting stator replacement. I post mostly in this forum, so I thought I'd give you guys a look. Seriously, I really do own a GS.. heh

That's a crappy Emgo fairing on the front, eventually to be replaced with a Cooley replica. Here's the stats:

1981 GS1000GX 30K miles
    K & N pods
    Dynojet stage 3 kit
    Dyna 3 ohm coils with the relay mod
    stock exhaust with no rust and only light scratches on the mufflers
    Re-covered seat
    All SS bolts in engine and in carbs
    Progressive Suspension 412 Series rear shocks
    Pirelli Sport Demons should be here Tuesday

Looking good there Mr Doctor.Cheers,Simon.:-D

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

doctorgonzo, just three words, beau ti ful!! So clean yet functional.

Ed

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys. I paid $1000 for it in running condition (from my girlfriend's dad) , but the second time I fired it up after getting it home it caught on fire, burned the wiring harness, the boots to the air box, and various other flammable parts before I could get the fire put out (I was doing my ghost rider impression going down the road). It was backfiring out one carb and a bunch of gas built up in the airbox and eventually caught on fire. It's nickname (eventually to be painted on the rear fender is "The Crispy Critter" (ha!)
        This led to a new wiring harness, the installation of the pods to replace the toasted airbox, and new manifold boots. I probably have $2000 in it on top of the $1000 I paid for it, and that doesn't count the new tires and the eventual V&H 4 into 1! By the time all is said and done, probably 4 grand in this bike, BUT we all know I could not go out and buy what I'll have at the end of the line for that price.

Comment

Hows that viper fairing work for you? I have one i have been debating on putting on the 1100G. Is it effective at all? Other than looking the part?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Hows that viper fairing work for you? I have one i have been debating on putting on the 1100G. Is it effective at all? Other than looking the part?
            I'd say eh.. so so. For the 40 bucks I paid, shipping and all, I can't complain. It's only held in place by the two bolts on the headlight so over time, it will tend to drift back and have to be adjusted. I also had to hack on it a bit to get it to fit. Especially the right side where I have a taller than original front master cylinder. The screen is roughly the same height as a Cooley fairing, so if you get down on the tank it does send the wind mostly over your head. I'd say, it is what it is, a sub $50 fairing. It's better than nothing. The install (provided you don't have to cut on it to make it fit) takes 5 minutes, so what the hell, put it on and take a ride, see what you think.

Comment

Great!

Excellent work Mr. doctorgonzo. You're going to have one sweet ride! :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Great work on a great looking bike. When you replace the exhaust I'm sure someone here would be glad to take the stockers off your hands.

BTW, have you swapped out the front forks yet?

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                  Great work on a great looking bike. When you replace the exhaust I'm sure someone here would be glad to take the stockers off your hands.

BTW, have you swapped out the front forks yet?

No doubt. I'll put the stock exhaust out there when I'm ready to pull the trigger on the V&H. Some 600 followed by some 1000 followed by some mothers has those headers looking like the day they were installed.

I haven't done anything with the front end yet. It was pro rebuilt a year or so before I got the bike. I was looking at progressive springs, but now torn on it as many say straight rates with inserts is the way to go. I do know I want to get rid of the air. It's too much of a pain to get/keep it balanced between the two forks.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                    I'd say eh.. so so. For the 40 bucks I paid, shipping and all, I can't complain. It's only held in place by the two bolts on the headlight so over time, it will tend to drift back and have to be adjusted. I also had to hack on it a bit to get it to fit. Especially the right side where I have a taller than original front master cylinder. The screen is roughly the same height as a Cooley fairing, so if you get down on the tank it does send the wind mostly over your head. I'd say, it is what it is, a sub $50 fairing. It's better than nothing. The install (provided you don't have to cut on it to make it fit) takes 5 minutes, so what the hell, put it on and take a ride, see what you think.
                    hmm. i've been thinking on that fairing as well.. i could fab out some other mounts to make it more rigid if needed.

Comment

I'm still pondering the decal I want to use to cover the "EMGO" (translate CHEAP!) right on the front of the fairing above the headlight.

Comment

Great bike!

What did you use to recover the seat? It doesn't look like a replacement cover...

Comment

Originally posted by mikluha View Post
                          Great bike!

What did you use to recover the seat? It doesn't look like a replacement cover...
                          I called all the local guys who do auto upholstery and finally found one who specializes in airplane seats and convertible tops. He was willing to do it. I got REALLY lucky. He had done a bike seat before, but not in years. He decided to use mine as an example piece to post on craigslist to get more jobs doing them. He covered that seat for $50 and turned it around in 3 days. Of all the things done to this bike, that one was a real steal!

Comment

Working...
                          X