Ripped carb diaphrams repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripped carb diaphrams repair?

I finally got some 34mm gsxr carbs and I have put them on the bike and it's running weird. Well conclusion I have come up with is the diaphrams are leaking/ripped on 2 of the 4 slides. What product would be the best to fix the diaphrams? I think the diaphrams may be seperated from the slides where they connect because I cannot see any actual rips just some places where they are worn a little and I think if there was just a pin hole leak they would still lift. I am holding the vacuum on the intake side of the carbs with the slides open and one slide lifts ~7/8 of the way and the other about 3/4 and the other two do not lift at all. I have switched the slides around from carb to carb and it still does it with that slide so it's not the bodies that are causing the problem. Anyway I think I'm going to try to seal the diaphrams. What do you guys suggest?

Replace

I think you'll find that the only satisfactory "fix" will be to replace the bad diaphrams. Carb racks are abundant on ebay and you should be able to find a cheap set where you can get some that are in good shape. Also, you'll end up with some other parts that may come in handy 'down the road'.:-D
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
      What product would be the best to fix the diaphrams? Anyway I think I'm going to try to seal the diaphrams. What do you guys suggest?
      My suggestion? Get new diaphragms. As chuckycheese suggested, you can get another rack of carbs, or you can break down and just get new diaphragms. If you get all four, you won't have to worry about them for another 20-25 years. Shop around, I have seen prices range from $65 to $130 for stock 850 carbs.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I too would get new or good used ones
        however you can do you own cost benefit analysis

Comment

If you are going to throw it away anyway it can't hurt to try a repair first.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've used the spray rubber as a temp fix and it worked until I found some other diaphragms.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Will the gas eat the spray rubber?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
                Will the gas eat the spray rubber?
                Only use it on the top.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  I've used the spray rubber as a temp fix and it worked until I found some other diaphragms.
                  The spray rubber? As an alternative to a diaphragm? :-D

I apologize for being juvenile, but I can't keep a straight face.

Seriously though, I actually want to know what product you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
                    The spray rubber? As an alternative to a diaphragm? :-D

I apologize for being juvenile, but I can't keep a straight face.

Seriously though, I actually want to know what product you're talking about.
                    The diaphragm takes too long to install. Ruins the mood. :-D
                    Napa has the spray rubber.

Comment

Working...
                    X