Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Maintenance Questions

Hey Guys,
    I am getting ready to do basic maintenance on my 82 GS850L. (Plugs, oil change, air filter change or clean and the valves need shimmed)

I have a knowledgable friend who is helping me, but I thought I'd ask for a heads up on anything that needs to be done/checked while doing any of this. My biggest concern is tearing up any of the old bolts/screws.

I am planning on getting the clean kit for the K&N filter that is in it.

One other thing is the gauge/electric panel piece that tells me what gear I am in is loose and I can't figure out how to tighten it down.

My last question is what kind of gas mileage can I expect from this bike?

On a positive note we just replaced the front fork seals/shimmed the springs and replaced the front tire. So its almost ready to ride.\\/

Thanks,
    David
    82 GS850L (nice bike for the price)

Originally posted by newvined View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I am getting ready to do basic maintenance on my 82 GS850L. (Plugs, oil change, air filter change or clean and the valves need shimmed)

I have a knowledgable friend who is helping me, but I thought I'd ask for a heads up on anything that needs to be done/checked while doing any of this. My biggest concern is tearing up any of the old bolts/screws.

One other thing is the gauge/electric panel piece that tells me what gear I am in is loose and I can't figure out how to tighten it down.

On a positive note we just replaced the front fork seals/shimmed the springs and replaced the front tire. So its almost ready to ride.\\/

Thanks,
    David
    82 GS850L (nice bike for the price)
    If im not mistaken, the Gear postion indicator is located under the shifter cover (what would be the sprocket cover on a chain driven bike) and then the wiring goes up to the harness somewheres over top of the engine, where its connected with a connector harness. Perhaps somewhere in there is your problem. Bad contacts, or something of the like. If thats not what youre talking about then my fault. If its something on the gauge set, you just have to take the back apart to get to everything generally.

Mileage, likely, without goosing the crap out of it all the time, prolly about mid forties range would be my guesstimate provided it is running correctly.

Comment

Even though you have "a knowedgable friend", make sure you also have a service manual handy. If you don't already have one, you can download one from BassCliff's website. Be careful with the fasteners, start soaking them now with PB Blaster to give yourself a fighting chance.
      When you change the oil, make sure it is 10w-40 or thicker. Most, if not all, of the 10w-30 oils have the dreaded "Energy Conserving" label on the back, meaning that they are not compatible with the clutch. You can use a 20w-50, but I like the way a 10w-40 flows better through the small bearing surfaces when the bike is first started.

Make sure you dry the filter thoroughly, then oil it LIGHTLY before using it. When you get the cleaning kit, make sure it has the cleaner and the oil.

It is probably broken, like my wife's panel. There is a mount inside the case that does the actual holding, it might be broken.

Gas mileage will depend a LOT on state of tune and how the bike is ridden. We have seen a low of about 29 mpg when it was running about 75 mph into a 10 mph headwind (we were trying to keep up with the group) to 59 mpg when ridden in hills and curves, keeping speed to no more than 55-60 mph. Overall, the average is upper 40s to lower 50s. When on a road trip, it's usually lower- to mid-50s because we are not stopping and starting all the time.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

realisticly it should get 40-45. in good tune

Comment

the studs/nuts on the oil filter cover are succeptible to thread wear
          check the condition and replace if necessary

airbox has to be sealed properly (the covers as well as the filter element itself)

dont forget to set the spark plug gap and use some anti seize on the threads to facilitate future removal

shims, use metric feeler gauge to avoid confusion
          consider replacing original valve cover bolts with stainless steel bolts
          grase the gasket to facilitate future removal (or use "realgasket")
          GS850GT

Comment

Basic Maintenance

Thanks for the advice. I'm just getting started on cleaning the air filter. I had to do some work on my sons go-cart (problem not solved yet)and didn't get started when I thought I would. No big deal.

I hope to finish tomorrow with the tune-up, and get to work Thursday or Friday on the valves.

Thanks Again,
            David
            82GS850L:-D

Comment

Sounds like the previous posters have got you on the right track.

Hopefully BassCliff will be along with his official welcome soon. If not, look him up here and check out his BikeCliff site. LOTS of good stuff for getting a bike up and running including links to other member sites with more good stuff.

Welcome and best of luck!

Comment

Working...
              X