EZ Out on a master cylinder screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EZ Out on a master cylinder screw?

One of the screws on my master cylinder was stripped by the previous owner. It showed up that way when I upgraded the front end on my 750T from a single to double disc. Of course the one on the parts bike I have is the exact same situation.

Is an EZ Out a stupid proposition?

Any other suggestions?

/Mike

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
    One of the screws on my master cylinder was stripped by the previous owner. It showed up that way when I upgraded the front end on my 750T from a single to double disc. Of course the one on the parts bike I have is the exact same situation.

Is an EZ Out a stupid proposition?

Any other suggestions?

/Mike
    If you're talking about the two little screws that hold the cap on I had one like that once. I took my dremel and cut a slot in it to get it out with a regular screwdriver.

Comment

Cant you drill the ad off the screw
      remove the good one
      then latch on with vise grips?

I had to do that one
      as soon as the tension was off the screw it tunred out by hand for me

is the cover off and the screw broken off?

Comment

ad means head when one is typing on a crappy HP laptop

Comment

No, the cover is still on. How would one get a dremel in there without destroying the cover?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
            No, the cover is still on. How would one get a dremel in there without destroying the cover?
            I used a cutting wheel. You can grind it down to a smaller diameter on some scrap. Then just be careful and have a good grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              I used a cutting wheel. You can grind it down to a smaller diameter on some scrap. Then just be careful and have a good grip.
              Hahaha! Sounds good to me!

Comment

just sue a very fine drill in the centre
                then go to progressively large bits till the hole you are cutting intersects the chamfer on the screw head

when it does this the head dill come off as a neat little ring of metal.

no disrespect but this is far easier to control than a cutting wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                  just sue a very fine drill in the centre
                  then go to progressively large bits till the hole you are cutting intersects the chamfer on the screw head

when it does this the head dill come off as a neat little ring of metal.

no disrespect but this is far easier to control than a cutting wheel.
                  Most likely. As long as he ends up with a nub to grab he's fine. I went the dremel route because it was handy, worked well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                    Most likely. As long as he ends up with a nub to grab he's fine. I went the dremel route because it was handy, worked well enough.
                    Thanks Billy. I used the dremel, mostly because I like making sparks.

Comment

If you have a drill press with a vice or access to one use that to drill the bolt head out as described earlier. If the screw is countersunk, with the press you can keep the drill centered and also control the depth so that you do not damage the cover.
                      M/C covers on useless M/C's should be laying around at most scrap yards if you do have a mishap.
                      I use Copperslip paste on my screws threads.

Comment

Mine did exactly the same thing. EZ out would not get it out. Took sharp chisel (small) and notched a groove in it on opposite sides and put in a small sharp flat head screwdriver and it came out.

Comment

I had this happen on 2 bikes and i used the Calvin method. Start with a small bit say 1/8" or so and work up. The screw head will come out as Calvin describes. Pop the cap off and you can get the screw shaft out with locking pliers.

A little anti-seize on the new screws and you are good to go.

I'm not sure of the thread size on these screws but I found that some screws with big knurled heads from computer cases work nicely. They stand proud of the cap by maybe a 1/4" but you can screw them in and out by hand. Not the look for everyone but work well.

Cheers guys,
                          Spyug

Comment

If this is the same as the UK version (Square, plastic reservoir on alloy MC body) you can remove the reservoir from the MC body by undoing the 2 small screws in side the reservoir and pulling off. This then gives you access to the nut on the underside of the reservoir and if the head has gone from the top you can just pull the whole thing out.
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer
                            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                            X