Where does this tiny hose go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does this tiny hose go?

I took off my pods and carbs to just clean the outside of them. I noticed when I took the starter cover off and cleaned that out, one of the tiny wires that attaches to the nut in the center does not have anything connected to it. Confused and here are pics.... Thanks

I just looked at the '81 G and the '82 GL in the garage. Both of them have that hose/wire and it seems to disappear under the starter cover. Sorry, I am not quite interested enough to remove the starter cover to see just where it goes, so you might have to wait for someone to answer that has either followed it to the other end or might have the starter cover off of a work-in-progress. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Lol. Not a big deal Steve. I looked around in that crevice and really couldn't find any type of end for that hose. It's raining here and not a nice day to ride, so I'm not in a hurry to figure it out. Thanks.

Comment

my service manual shows it going under the starter motor but dosent say why

Comment

I believe it's a vent line for the transmission, Ted

Comment

that is the vent for the secondary gear box, it goes under the starter because there is a drain hole under the starter.

Comment

Hi Mr. Johnny K,

Mr. focus frenzy and Mr. knotzilla are correct. That's part of the breather system for the secondary gearcase. It goes to the starter cavity along with the stator wires. I try to wedge it under the starter so that if anything drains from there it won't get on the starter itself. It empties out of what's come to be lovingly called "the mystery hole".

(Pictures courtesy of Mr. bwringer.) Note, the blue hose is there for illustration purposes only.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2008, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Okay cool. Thanks for the detailed answer.

Comment

Working...
                X