Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pickup strainer (gauze)?

Hi folks.

I have noticed in my old Haynes manual for my 78 GS750, that the oil pickup strainer "should" to be cleaned at every 6000 miles. This would require removing the sump, and so the exhaust. In other words it's a pain of a job.

My thoughts and a question?

This manual was written at a time when oil sludge formation was common with the oils of the time. I think that unless you have clutch debris in the oil, (slipping clutch or clutch abuse), with modern oils (high detergent) the strainer is not going to clog up?

Has anyone found any clogging when using modern engine oils? I realise that a clogged strainer can stop oil flow and destroy engines, but i am just curious of peoples "real world" experiences with the GS strainer?

Regards.

Footy.

Pulling the sump pan WAS a giant PITA with the stock exhaust on, and pulling the exhaust header pipes is dangerous; many here have broken the bolts while changing over to headers. I DID pull the pan on my GS 750, and it took a long time, and after pulling the pan, you should check the metal screen that does the filtering of big stuff,but it's held on by 3 Phillips head screws that I needed to use an impact driver to get out, and to get it this high, I needed to buy a motorcycle lift, so it was a never ending process. After all that, my sump was so clean you could have EATEN off of it (don't eat motor oil; high in cholesterol!?). BUT mine was a one-owner bike (me) and the oil and filter changed religiously. It was good to know, but for me a waste of time, and I missed the 1st Robbinsville rally because of it.
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

Not long ago, I pulled the sump off my son's '81 850. There was a little sludge in the bottom of the pan, but hardly worth getting excited over. An oil change with warm oil flowing across the baffles might have removed the bit of sludge that was there. The intake screen looked good, and I have NO idea on the history of this bike. 8-[

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's a must do job, especially if it hasn't been done for a while. You might find it clean but if it does get bunged up that's the end of your motor. I've seen some pretty damn close to being fully clogged. 6000 is a bit excessive though - I've done this on 20k plus bikes for the first time and they've been fine.

If the motor has been rebuilt at some time by someone a bit messy (esp if they used gasket goo all over the place), that's when they can get bunged up quickly.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If you do not know the history of the bike it would be good idea to check it for peace of mind. I found a heli-coil on my oil pan threads and bought a new used pan and checked my strainer while I replacing the pan. Fortunately it looked brand new so I did not have to dig any further. If you do check it I would suggest using PB or the pentrating oil of your choice on the header bolts for a couple of weeks before you pull the header. Those bolts are notorious for snapping if they are the originals. Use anti-sieze on re-assembly.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I agree the 6000 recommendation seems way over the top for an engine you "know", hence my question. But as suggested it would be a good idea on a just got bike with unknown history.

Regards.

Footy.

Comment

Working...
            X