1985 GS1150ES Engine Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS1150ES Engine Rebuild

Hi guys! I really need your advice on this one...After sitting for a year, I decided to bring my GS back to life. Changed the oil (now using 20w50 because it was smoking a little during the last rides), oil filter, spark plugs, and then started it. Blue smoke came out of the exhaust...and never stopped coming out of the exhaust...Thinking it was a jammed piston ring, I used Wynns engine cleaner additive...nothing changed. I ran a compression test which came out as this : 60-150-150-120. I removed the exhaust but didn't see oil deposit in any of the 4 manifold tubes. The 2 bolts holding the manifold to the first cylinder where all oily...and the front of the engine is totally oiled too...but the head gasket seems OK. Do you guys have any idea what could be wrong with the bike and is it worth trying the repair it. Bike has 60000km.
    Thanks for your help!

Something else to try

HI Mr. RoChEsTeR,

I suppose it could be a stuck ring. I've read here that Marvel's Mystery Oil in the cylinder could free it up if you let it soak for a couple of days. Good luck.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BasCliff

Comment

I'll give it a try, otherwise I think I might spend the summer without a bike...
      Found a piston kit with rings and all gaskets on the Internet so I believe if MMO doesn't do the trick I'll order it and see if I can fix it.
      Thanks!

Comment

Any chance you have checked the valve clearance lately?

A valve that is a bit too tight will certainly lead to lower compression, and if it's really tight, a burned valve. :shock:
        Either one of these could also lead to excessive oil consumption.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          HI Mr. RoChEsTeR,

I suppose it could be a stuck ring. I've read here that Marvel's Mystery Oil in the cylinder could free it up if you let it soak for a couple of days. Good luck.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BasCliff
          ATF will also work pretty well for that if the MMO is not readily available.

Mark

Comment

Working...
          X