Battery Light on when motor is running.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Light on when motor is running.

Hi Guys I come asking the gurus a question.
    I meet a guy today riding a 1983 1100E while traveling from job to job I actully was infront of him when he pulled into a gas station so I did a qick Turn into the station to druel. Any way He asked me if I knew why his battery light was on when ever the motor is on. He said it is putting out 13 vdc , with a two year old battery I did not ask him if was on w/ the old battery. So if any one has any suguestions that would be great. He gave me a phone number so I will call him if any thing comes out of this thanks.

Pat

The battery light has NOTHING to do with charging ability. There is a sensor that checks the electrolyte level in one cell of the battery. If the battery has been replaced with one that does not accomodate the sensor, the light will stay on.

A couple ways to turn the light off (assuming the battery won't handle it) include removing the bulb from the warning light or finding the sensor wire and connecting it to a switched power wire.

Sorry about the delay in answering your question. My son came into the room and asked a couple of questions. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I dont know from personal experience, but have seen other postings about some models ahveing a battery light on the instrument panel, but that there are only certain batterys that have whatever to support that, and if someone installs a more standard battery (that doesnt have the whatever) then that battery light stays on.

SOmeone else will need to give you more specifics.

<<<later note>>>
      Opps, Steve is faster at keyboarding, ... and knows more about it.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        My son came into the room and asked a couple of questions.
        Was he asking your opinion on syn vs standard oil or weather you prefered shafts or chains......:-D

Oh yeah, Connect the loose sensor wire to the + side of the battery. light goes out.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
        X