vetter fairing and bags and turn signal dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vetter fairing and bags and turn signal dilema

The bike is a 1982 GS1100G with a vetter fairing and a rear case with the blinkers mounted from it.

The bike passed inspection in April which means the blinkers were working. I was riding about on Sunday and the right blinker indicator would turn on but not flash. I quickly popped the cover and found a bad bulb. I replaced the bulb with an 1157 (same as the other side) and still no flash. I then went to the rear. These have 1073's, I switched that out..no flash.

Now I can go through the piece by piece switch out of parts (I believe I have a number of replacement components for these turn signal systems), but before I go to far. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

I would like something simple, like say the pledge of allegiance while installing the bulb and it will work fine, or something that might actually be useful.

OK, a couple of troubleshooting items here.

You say "no flash". Do the lights come on, then stay on? Or do they not come on at all?

Does one side work, but not the other?

You say you have "a rear case with the blinkers mounted from it". Are you speaking of saddlebags or a trunk?
    Usually, the signals are mounted to the bike frame, but farther back than stock, to allow room for the bags. The Vetter trunk has tail/brake lights, but no signals.

Oh, the Pledge of Allegiance does not work. I think you have to do several "Hail Marys". 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Check/clean all connectors (especially the plug to the Vetter fairing, ask me how I know..) make sure all your grounds are good, and voila!!!!! They should work. Let me stress the plug from your main wiring harness to the Vetter fairing.......:-D

Comment

left turn side works perfectly. the turn signals are on as running lights all the time and only go off for the turn signal activity. all lights are on, the ones on the right side do not flash. The turn signal indicator on the dash comes on when I turn on the right turn signal but does not flash. The left turn signal performance is without flaw.

Comment

This is an update for everyone sitting on the edge of there seat waiting for this tale to be resolved.

When you have a vetter fairing you have a bagowires which is seperate from the vetter plug in. This famed "Bagowires" is a bit of a weak spot and is where I found some generally poor connections in need of care and cleaning....Voila I blink!!

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to add the Bag'O Wires connectors. I did run through them once upon a time on another no-power wire,,,,,,
            Originally posted by rgierer View Post
            This is an update for everyone sitting on the edge of there seat waiting for this tale to be resolved.

When you have a vetter fairing you have a bagowires which is seperate from the vetter plug in. This famed "Bagowires" is a bit of a weak spot and is where I found some generally poor connections in need of care and cleaning....Voila I blink!!

Comment

Working...
            X