New clutch dragging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New clutch dragging?

I just installed a new barnett clutch in my 79 gs1000. The clutch works great when the engine is still warming up but once the oil get up to running temp the clutch starts to drag. Making it impossible to shift when stopped and you must hold the brake on. I have all slack taken out of the clutch cable but still no help.

So any helpful info would be great, has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it?

If the clutch actuator isn't off a tooth grit it out and let the clutch break in.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Clutch cable needs a little slick in it or it will drag when engine temp is up.

Comment

Clymer's states 2-3 mm free play at handlebar lever.

Comment

Did you properly torque the springs or did you wrench them down.

Comment

I don't know just how recent your new clutch is. I can tell you when I changed by clutch discs and springs I had serious clutch drag for a couple of days. I was even having a hard time shifting the bike. Then I took the bike on the Galena Ill ride and up to Wisconsin. I had no problem with the clutch after a good 600 mile adventure. It was also hard on clutch cables the first year.

I would suggest you just hit the road for a week or so and see if the problem goes away.

Comment

Did you use the Barnnet springs ?? that could be your problem. Stock clutch plates are best !!
              Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2008, 06:39 PM.

Comment

This is typical of Barnett clutches. You have to over adjust the cable (take all the free play out and then some) to get enough pull to minimize the drag when at stop lights etc. Once you get tired of the problem the correct fix is original Suzuki plates and springs.

Sorry to bring bad news.

Comment

It is not just about Barnett clutch partsa. when I was working on my 1100G, I think the only springs Dennis Kirk had were Vesra heavy duty and yeah they are heavy. the clutch discs were just standard discs (Vesra again). Still they were a PITA to break in but after a few hundred miles all was well.

Comment

Working...
                  X