Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R toasted or grouding problem?

Wiring Diagram for reference:

I have a drain on the battery. It's a constant .75 volt drain, identified by plugging multimeter leads in series with battery (-) and the wires that connect to that terminal. I have learned amps play a significant role in this, I dont know how, and dont much care, because After 2 weeks my battery has again gone from 12.6 or so to 10.8, so it's an issue.

I have isolated the problem to past the 15amp fuse of course, as the others wouldn't be hot all the time. This is what I've done to isolate it.

1. Unplug red wire to fusebox. Draw disappears. Plug back in.
    2. Unplug ignition switch. Draw remains.
    3. Unplug red wire to rec/reg. Draw disappears. Plug back in.
    4. Unplug rec/reg black/white wire to frame ground. Draw disappears.

Eh? Am I at a dead end where there's come kind of grounding issue? I thought if I kept following the citcuit until unplugging it no longer resulted in the draw disappearing I would be able to find the issue. But I went all the way to ground. Is my rectifier regulator just always passing that voltage through? Or do I have some kind of other grounding problem?

Is it the OEM style r/r or do you have a Honda one or something. Some Honda r/rs are abit parsitic (ones with a sense wire).
    Cheers

Comment

It's those damn horns. ;-)
      Have you tested the R/R? Have you done the Stator papers? Isn't this the last step of this long process?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Haha. Is there ever a last step?

No, I haven't done the stator papers. It seems to be recharging fine while it's running (well, mostly, it actually charges less with its at 4000 than at idle, but its still above 13.5 if I remember correctly). It's the drain thats a pain in the ass

Comment

Did you run the ground wire from the R/R to the negative battery post?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The amps matter

Originally posted by J_C View Post
            Wiring Diagram for reference:

I have a drain on the battery. It's a constant .75 volt drain, identified by plugging multimeter leads in series with battery (-) and the wires that connect to that terminal. I have learned amps play a significant role in this, I dont know how, and dont much care, because After 2 weeks my battery has again gone from 12.6 or so to 10.8, so it's an issue.
            The amps matter enough that you have to care ...

Repeat your test with the meter hooked up as above with the meter set to the biggest amp setting it has.
            Assuming you don't get a reading, repeat it one setting smaller, and keep decreasing the range until you get a reading or get to the smallest range.

Come back and report what reading you get.

---

What you were doing before (taking a voltage reading with the meter in series) really doesn't tell you anything.

With a "perfect" meter, you would probably read 12 volts if there is ANY leakage whatsoever.

With a real meter, the reading is highly dependent on the internals of the meter, but anything significantly less than 12 volts would seem to indicate to me that there is only a tiny tiny tiny amount of leakage (probably from the R/R diodes (which would be normal, and fits with the rest of your symptoms))

Based on the limited info so far, I would guess that your problem is NOT a parasitic drain.
            I'm guessing that you have a normal, insignificant drain which is hundreds or thousands of times too small to hurt/drain your battery.

BTW, what kind of meter (analog or digital) are you using.

I have isolated the problem to past the 15amp fuse of course, as the others wouldn't be hot all the time. This is what I've done to isolate it.

1. Unplug red wire to fusebox. Draw disappears. Plug back in.
            2. Unplug ignition switch. Draw remains.
            3. Unplug red wire to rec/reg. Draw disappears. Plug back in.
            4. Unplug rec/reg black/white wire to frame ground. Draw disappears.

Eh? Am I at a dead end where there's come kind of grounding issue? I thought if I kept following the citcuit until unplugging it no longer resulted in the draw disappearing I would be able to find the issue. But I went all the way to ground. Is my rectifier regulator just always passing that voltage through? Or do I have some kind of other grounding problem?

Comment

Martin,

Thanks for the advice. I will repeat the test as you stated tomorrow. I'm kind of hoping that there is a drain. Something needs to explain why this battery (I believe identical to the one in my SV) drains so much more quickly.

This is my meter:

Comment

J_C

What was your meter set at when you measured voltage?

I went home and checked mine and I only have .063 parasitic drain. That's right, six hundreths of a volt, not even a tenth of a volt.

As far as ohms, it was very high infact, 17.8M connect lead to lead off of the battery (battery disconnected). 200M setting on the meter in order to read it.

Amps, nada, even on the finest setting double checked with two different DVOM's.

Have you specifically checked the r/r per the resources?

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Still no resolution?

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

when you when through the Rectifier test, did they check out... See phase C

these guys go in depth about diode checks, though the little meter you have may not pick it up.

I'm sure if you have any other questions, Bak seems pretty up on electrical testing.

Comment

82, I thought that the readings I got back meant the problem was very very small. But since my battery is still draining, it's obviously an issue. Since I don't have the luxury of having it on a tender all the time, I need to minimize the battery discharge in the week or two between turning it on.

When I did thre voltage reading the meter was set to 20v.

Thanks for the other tip. I will do phase C of the stator checks this evening as well

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                    J_C

What was your meter set at when you measured voltage?

I went home and checked mine and I only have .063 parasitic drain. That's right, six hundreths of a volt, not even a tenth of a volt.
                    What I was trying to explain before is that this measurement really doesn't mean anything. JC's leakage may well be less than yours if you are using an analog meter.
                    It all depends on the effective resistance of the meter.

J_C

As far as ohms, it was very high infact, 17.8M connect lead to lead off of the battery (battery disconnected). 200M setting on the meter in order to read it.

Amps, nada, even on the finest setting double checked with two different DVOM's.

Have you specifically checked the r/r per the resources?

Rereading that thread, JC does NOT have enough of a drain to be a problem.

J_C

Still no resolution?

when you when through the Rectifier test, did they check out... See phase C

these guys go in depth about diode checks, though the little meter you have may not pick it up.

His meter has a diode test function at the 5:30 o:clock setting.

J_C

I'm sure if you have any other questions, Bak seems pretty up on electrical testing.
                    JC, From all I have read here, Parasitic drain is NOT the problem, look elsewhere ...

It is possible that the battery has an internal short, or is just ruined.
                    You may have other charging issues.

There is not enough info to tell what the problem is.
                    There is enough info to rule out parasitic drain.

Comment

OK thank you Martin. I'll go through the entire set of stator papers this weekend and document my results. Maybe someone might see something in them that I don't.

Hopefully it's not the battery. I'd hate to have to buy a new one.

Comment

82, I thought that the readings I got back meant the problem was very very small. But since my battery is still draining, it's obviously an issue. Since I don't have the luxury of having it on a tender all the time, I need to minimize the battery discharge in the week or two between turning it on.

When I did thre voltage reading the meter was set to 20v.

Thanks for the other tip. I will do phase C of the stator checks this evening as well

Ummm... I guess you use a tender sometimes?

Does the battery ever bubble on the tender ?

or a different issue:
                        Do you ever leave the tender connected to the battery but not plugged into the wall ? 8-[

Comment

It's an AGM battery, so it never bubbles. I put it on the battery tender for the night maybe every other week or so. It did have one period of about 3 months where it sat in storage without being on a tender.

Because I have to run an extension cord from my apartment, out the door, off the balcony, and diagonally down to the bike below, if it's not charging I remove the tender.

Comment

I tried to test the r/r today via the stator papers part c. Completely removed the r/r from the bike. Tested resistance from red to yellow. 1. Then I tested from black to red. 1. I think I have a busted multimeter. Will buy another one from kragen or something and try again this weekend.

Comment

I tried to test the r/r today via the stator papers part c. Completely removed the r/r from the bike. Tested resistance from red to yellow. 1. Then I tested from black to red. 1. I think I have a busted multimeter. Will buy another one from kragen or something and try again this weekend.
                              With the meter you have, you shouldn't be testing resistance.

You should be using the diode test function (between the 200 ohms setting and hfe)

for each wire pair you measure two times and you measure them in different "direction"s each time ... for example with the red and yellow wires:
                              1st measurement --- red multimeter lead on red wire, black multimeter lead on yellow wire.
                              2nd measurement --- red multimeter lead on yellow wire, black multimeter lead on red wire.

on each pair, one direction should give you a value, and the other should say 'out of range' (I'll guess thats the "1" above)

Comment

Working...
                              X