changing to stainless lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing to stainless lines?

Can anyone advise me to the general cost of switching out my stock rubber brake lines for new shiney stainless lines?

I looked at Z1 and the prices don't seem to bad but I did notice that the "ends" of the hoses won't directly bolt up to my master cylinder and calipers. I suspect that I will have to purchase some other type of banjo bolt (or sumpin').

Perhaps there is another vender I should look at?? Does anyone make a kit to bolt directly up to our existing items? My bike(s) would be the 1980 & 1981 GS750s and GS1100E (all the brake components on these are identical).

I am looking at doing the same thing... Gurus?
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

You can build them yourself (a search should help here. Nessism has done it, and a big proponent of it) which is the cheapest route. Galfer (at a little over $100.00 for front lines, I haven't priced back one) makes them, as does Heil (closer to $250.00 or $300.00 for front), as do several other companies. The kits (at least the Galfer) come with everythinbg and are just bolt on.

Comment

there are many a sites to look at.
        there is earls, where you can make your own.
        speigler(speiglerusa.com) they have some cool swivel heads.
        z1 has hoses that will work. you need to buy the ends separately from the hose.
        paragon performance has some.(paragonperformance.com)

do a search, there is a lot of info about SS brake lines here.

Comment

Originally posted by dtkid View Post
          Can anyone advise me to the general cost of switching out my stock rubber brake lines for new shiney stainless lines?

I looked at Z1 and the prices don't seem to bad but I did notice that the "ends" of the hoses won't directly bolt up to my master cylinder and calipers. I suspect that I will have to purchase some other type of banjo bolt (or sumpin').

Perhaps there is another vender I should look at?? Does anyone make a kit to bolt directly up to our existing items? My bike(s) would be the 1980 & 1981 GS750s and GS1100E (all the brake components on these are identical).
          The Goodridge lines that Z1 sells have a screw on type end on them for screw on banjo fittings, which they also sell in various angles and lengths. Building your own is THE cheapest, but at about 10-ish bucks more per line, the Goodrige set up is the way i went, simply to save the hastle.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            The Goodridge lines that Z1 sells have a screw on type end on them for screw on banjo fittings, which they also sell in various angles and lengths. Building your own is THE cheapest, but at about 10-ish bucks more per line, the Goodrige set up is the way i went, simply to save the hastle.
            Yep, I agree. I just did mine with the Goodridge parts.It was pretty easy and turned out great. Just be sure you check out the posts about bleeding the front brakes. It will save you a lot of frustration!

Comment

Working...
            X