Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speedo: Did I break it or lose something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo: Did I break it or lose something?

Speedo/odometer were working just fine.

Removed wheels to do tire change. Went for short ride with speedo cable not connected. Then when I connected it and it didn't work from the first moment.

Did I shear off the speedo gear or is there a piece that could've fallen off?

The inner cable probably slipped down enough that the slot-headed end that meshes with the drive tang in the speedometer isn't meshing. Undo the end at the wheel, and rotate the inner cable slowly while pushing the cable into the jacket. You should feel the cable mate with the speedo, and while not letting the inner cable slip, screw the wheel-end into the fitting on the speedo drive.
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

If you went for a short ride, you may have lost the inner cable. :shock:

If there is nothing inside the outer sheath, you will either have to retrace your ride or just spend a few bucks and get a new one.
      If you decide to get a new cable, you may as well spend just a few bucks more and get the whole cable, inner and outer. 8-[

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I guess I WAS assuming that the inner cable was still there!
        1979 GS 1000

Comment

Thanks for feedback. The cable is still in place and I spun the cable with a drill (20 mph for 14 volt ryobi cordless!)

Looking into the end of the wheel mounted gear, I don't see anything to mate up with the cable end. Any guesses?

Comment

Looks like the tab in the driver is gone. It should look more like this:

I have a speedo drive here (the one in the picture) that has other problems. You want to send yours to me, I will replace the broken part and send it back, or do want me to send you the part and you do it yourself?

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the kind offer, I sent you at PM

Larry

Comment

Got the PM, parts will be on their way tomorrow. 8-[

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Another speedo question

I'll tag my question on here if it's ok since I am having a time with my speedo also and someone on here seems to know what is going on!! 1982 GS300L. I'll try to shorten the story. I changed the wheel, messed up my "worm" gear in the front hub assembly, bought another hub from e-bay, put all together, then the dial indicator would not move but the odometer would work while riding. Took cable loose from both ends, put back together, then speedometer made a squealing sound and needle would register, then jump up and down. Took loose, sprayed WD-40 in speedometer, put back together, squealing stopped, but needle will register for about 2 or 3 seconds, then bounce, then register , then bounce etc. etc. The cable on the speedo end is just a square end with no slot, andon the hub end, the slotted end is in the hub assembly as it should be. Any help would be appreciated if you know what is happening.

Thanks,
                  David

Comment

goodscout,

If you search you'll find some threads with people having had similar problems. I would think that if your odometer is working fine, the problem would have to be in the speedometer housing, not sure though.

Comment

Just wanted to send a public thanks to Steve for mailing the replacement part I needed\\/

As you can see, I guess I managed to shear off the slotted end to my speedo gear when I reconnected the cable:shock:

It was a quick replacement other than the wheel removal.

Thanks again STEVE

Comment

Working...
                      X