Crank Case Hoses... '85 GS550EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank Case Hoses... '85 GS550EF

Damn, another oil leak! I am still working on my little '85 GS550EF. I am identifying the oil leaks (yup, sadly it is plural) and the crank case hoses are one of them. My hopes were that the leak was at the banjo bolts, but alas, no luck. The hoses themselves are the source of the leak. There is no oil on the metal connections, only on the hoses. any one got some suggestions or replacements? Thanks!

550 not my forte but WHAT crankcase hoses and WHAT banjo bolts?!
    GS850GT

Comment

Hi Mr. jbeaber,

Do you have an oil cooler on your bike? I've never heard of one on a 550, but I don't know much. Feel free to stop by my website and download a manual for your bike and see if that helps you. Do you have a picture? Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

the 85 550E does have a factory oil cooler.

the lines are no longer available but even if they were you don't want to go there! $$$$$ (4 inch long very simple line for SV is $80usd!!!)

break out the good old phone book (www.yellowbook.com) and find the local hydraulic repair/ supply place and take them your old lines.

any place halfway worth their salt can make you new lines.
        they might have to re-cycle the banjo ends as the size might not be standard and they also have short metal tubing with special bend to them.

short little lines like those are actualy realy cheep to make.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
          the 85 550E does have a factory oil cooler.
          a-ha, there goes my ignorance
          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
            a-ha, there goes my ignorance
            Certainly not all of it?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good thoughts on the hydraulic shop. Think a radiator shop would do the trick? I can still buy them new, but would, of course, prefer to try to do it for a little less money and generate less waste. Here is a photo of the offending cable:

Comment

Originally posted by Jbeaber View Post
                Good thoughts on the hydraulic shop. Think a radiator shop would do the trick? I can still buy them new, but would, of course, prefer to try to do it for a little less money and generate less waste. Here is a photo of the offending cable:
                you can???? from where??? I checked and they are not available from Suzuki anymore.

I would not bet on a radiator shop as I have never seen a radiator shop that also made hydraulic lines.

Comment

Bike Bandit has them for the '85 GS550EF, about $100 for the pair....

Comment

Sadness. You cannot repair crimped hoses. So, replacement. The good news is that only one piece is unavailable to replace every bolt, washer and tube. The bolt that connects to the lower part of the engine is discontinued. I need to detach it from one of the crank case hoses, but all should be easy after that. My goal is to get the bike ready to sell. I have a lead on a vintage Honda i want to 'exchange' it for....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Certainly not all of it?

OFF TOPIC... in my defence steve, neither in europe where i used to live nor here down under were any gs bikes less than 750cc that popular, so to be frank i'm not sure i've ever even SEEN 450, 550, 650 other than in pics... :shock:
                      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Jbeaber View Post
                        would the ss. brake lines work as a replacement or are the banjo fittings a different size?
                        GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                        X