stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator

any one have any pics of where the stator is located on a 1100gk. im still new to bikes and feel dumb askin

Stator is located under the left hand engine cover (the one with the emblem on it) and is attached with three screws to the cover. Harness runs up into the starter motor cavity and then back toward the rectifier

Comment

sitting on the bike the stator is inside the round cover sticking out from the left side of the engine.

basscliff has a excellent tutorial on changing them on his web site.

Comment

is there any type of liquid or anything in there if i loosen the screws

Comment

Originally posted by cicocix View Post
          is there any type of liquid or anything in there if i loosen the screws
          Yep, it's in oil from the crankcase. Either lean the bike (not recommending this) on it's right side against something about like it was on the kickstand, or drain the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by cicocix View Post
            any one have any pics of where the stator is located on a 1100gk. im still new to bikes and feel dumb askin
            As someone else said check BassCliff's website for directions. Be aware due to the gasket seal, even after removing the 9 or 10? screws(allen head screws if your lucky!) from the side cover, you'll probably have to carefully work your way around and pry it off with a 2" inch putty knife. Don't bugger up the metal surfaces trying to pry with a screwdriver!! Then use a strong thin wooden stick to keep prying back and forth to get the cover away because you're now fighting the magnets holding it inwards onto the crankshaft end. When it lets go, be careful you don't fall backwards and drop and crack the cover. I used an impact driver(strongly recommend this so you don't start stripping the screw heads) to finally get the 3 philips heads screws free that hold the stator to the inside of the cover. Your's should be the same setup as my '83 GS1100G. When you put it back together, line the gasket up by applying a light coat of grease to hold it in place and slide the cover on. Once it gets an inch or so away from seating the magnets will suck it right out of your hands.

P.S. DRAIN the oil first!
            Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2008, 01:04 PM.

Comment

thanks for the help fellers. i apprieciate

Comment

It's a bugger to get back on. I never could get my homemade cork gasket to stay in place well enough even with some ultra grey on it with the wriggling I had to do to get the cover back on. I wound up not using a gasket and using utra grey RTV only. It doesn't leak, so it worked.

Comment

Working...
                X