Carb Kits/ Gs450 Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Kits/ Gs450 Owners

As per Mr. Robert Barr's suggestion, contained within my other thread about high idle speed, have any 450 owners tried or used his carb kits for the 4 cylinder bikes to any success with a 450? I know it's twice the parts, but he doesn't list a kit for these bikes, and suggested I ask. So, in the vernacular of the bayou, I'm axin away.

I ordered his o-ring kit and was able to use just a couple of the o-rings... the ones for the needle jet. He may also carry the o-ring for the float-bowl plug. If so you should get those too. The rest of the o-rings are in my toolbox where I presume they'll stay forever.

Otherwise, hopefully, all the other parts of the carb are in re-usable condition... especially the diaphragm. One of mine was damaged and I needed to buy a salvaged set of carbs to get a reasonably priced replacement.

Comment

Thanks for the response. This was an 82 450 garage kept by the original owner. After my son bought it 2 years ago, we didn't really do anything to it except to clean the ground contacts, use dielectric grease on the electrical connections and the relay mod for the coils. After my son resurrected it ( a long misled story), it ran great. Then, after modifying the bike to be a bobber/chopper, we did the shakedown run. After he trucked it back to college, he told me the next day it all ov a sudden started ro race whenever it should have been idling.

Comment

Got my carb kits Thursday in the mail. Thanks Mr. Barr. I'm hoping the rain lets up long enough to fool with them, and try the fit on 450 carbs.

Comment

I posted the other day. None of the o-rings fit on my bike. In fact, the only o-ring I could find to replace was the needle jet, which is an in-between size.

What model 450 do ya have? I now know 82+ L models don't work with his kit.

Comment

Erich, between my last post and today, with my son having returned from the Berrymans 50 mile marathon in St. Louis, he told me he fooled with the main idle speed screw, the big knurled screw for the carbs. That was misinformation number 1 on the idle problem. I'm hoping to tear into the bike this week, i was pretty much down for the count last weekend with a cold threatening to turn into bronchitis. I'll let you know what fits. If nothing else, I'll have a fine low cost selection of carb o rings for future uses. No matter what, thanks again, and forever forward, to Mr. Robert Barr and his diligence in finding these for us foremost.

Comment

Working...
            X