starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting problem

I'm trying to resurrect a 1981 GS550L. After cleaning it up and such, it has spark and fires when I put some gas in the cylinders. I cleaned the carbs up and there is fuel getting to the float bowls but it still won't fire up. The jets look good and everything seems to operate smoothly, I'm just not understanding why fuel isn't making it to the cylinders.

Matt

Have you given the carbs a GOOD soak and cleaning as per the carb clean tutorial? Is your petcock working correctly? Fuel filter (either inline or the stock one in the tank) clean and flowing properly?

Comment

I didn't soak them but I pulled the main jet, float valve needle, slide, main jet screw out and cleaned them all real good. The carbs on a whole looked pretty clean, there was some parts that were gummed up. Fuel is getting to them, so I'm assuming the petcock is working alright, I did take it apart and clean it. Would I really need to soak them just to get it to start?

Matt

Comment

I would guess the carbs are the issue. the main fuel circuit is easy to get to and as you said you cleaned it. it is the idle and pilot circuit you need to get it started though. the idle and pilot circuit are much smaller jets and a lot of internal passages in the carbs soaking is really the best way to clean them. I would venture that if you were to actually follow the tutorial it would fire and run.

A friend was having the same problem with his KZ900, and when he could get it started it had nothing with dropping cylinders till about 5500 RPM them went like a mad and skated the front wheel. I kept telling him to pull the carbs again. he kept getting more ****ed saying he had already cleaned them. I trailered his bike to my house last Sat, we pulled and cleaned the carbs my way and what do you know, it starts and runs great.

Comment

Ok, I didn't realize that the fuel flows through a different route for starting. Obviously it wouldn't hurt to pull them and soak them good. It's just that I've had these carbs off twice already and it's not a fun thing to do. But I'll give er a try. Thanks for the info, I'll keep ya' posted.

Comment

Working...
          X