riding in rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

riding in rain

Finally, bike is back up and running after a valve adjustment. Should have done that a long time ago. Definitely an improvement in runability. Got caught with rain this morning on the way to work. Got me thinking...is there anything that is particularly susceptible to failure with riding in the rain? Was thinking ignition in particular. 81 850g

If your wires are old and cracked, you might have some problems. Before we changed the wires on my wife's 850L, we carried a small can of WD-40 in the trunk to spray the wires if it looked like we were going to get wet. Don't laugh, that's what the "WD" stands for ... Water Displacement. It was created to get rid of water, not as a lube.

Straight from the WD-40 FAQs page:
    What does WD-40 stand for?
    WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion-a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try. Please see Our History for more information.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      If your wires are old and cracked, you might have some problems. Before we changed the wires on my wife's 850L, we carried a small can of WD-40 in the trunk to spray the wires if it looked like we were going to get wet. Don't laugh, that's what the "WD" stands for ... Water Displacement. It was created to get rid of water, not as a lube.

Straight from the WD-40 FAQs page:
      I will have to keep that in mind. The wires and cap look ok, but that can be deceiving. No issues this morning. Can the wires be replaced w/o replacing the coils? Didn't look at them that closely. Also, thanks again for the spread sheet for the valve adjustment. Was a big help and also keeps the project well organized. All valves but two right in the middle of spec. One at .04mm and one at .08mm. The "buzz" that i had before at given rpms is gone. Now if i can find what ever is vibrating at about 5k rpms...whatever it is it has a very narrow rpm range that it is harmonic to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Burke View Post

is there anything that is particularly susceptible to failure with riding in the rain?
        The stupidity of the average cager and the severity of his stupid actions will go up exponentially in a good rain, and yet, sadly, your ability to avoid the consequences of his stupidity will be deminished.

Fortunately if it is all working correctly the bike will run fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

[quote=tkent02;818683]The stupidity of the average cager and the severity of his stupid actions will go up exponentially in a good rain, and yet, sadly, your ability to avoid the consequences of his stupidity will be deminished.

Isn't that the truth!

Comment

Yes, the horn.

Comment

Can the wires be replaced w/o replacing the coils? Didn't look at them that closely.
              yes, but you will have to dig out the epoxy in the towers of the coil(s) to replace them.
              The "buzz" that i had before at given rpms is gone. Now if i can find what ever is vibrating at about 5k rpms...whatever it is it has a very narrow rpm range that it is harmonic to.
              The engine vibrates at 4,700-5,000 rpm is that what you are noticing?
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

That's about the rpm that i hear the vibration. Almost sounds like the front fork cover with the "suzuki" emblem is vibrating. That's not it though. Not that big of a deal.

Comment

Finally, bike is back up and running after a valve adjustment. Should have done that a long time ago. Definitely an improvement in runability. Got caught with rain this morning on the way to work. Got me thinking...is there anything that is particularly susceptible to failure with riding in the rain? Was thinking ignition in particular. 81 850g
                  Yes, the driver has to adjust to conditions! Susceptible to wetness, shivering and numbing of the body and mind.
                  Bike, maybe air stacks if you have them.

Comment

do you have the hinged cover over the gas cap? cause mine buzzed, fixed with some weatherstrip....
                    Last edited by greg78gs750; 05-14-2008, 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I got caught in the rain last night (stupid Weather.com told me rain wouldnt start till midnight) and it sucked. Not something I care to repeat.

Comment

That's about the rpm that i hear the vibration. Almost sounds like the front fork cover with the "suzuki" emblem is vibrating. That's not it though. Not that big of a deal.
                        Sounds like mine and thats one of the things I have tried (tank emblems, side covers ect. ) is it mostly on the rh side?
                        if it is, it drives me nuts also!
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

No hinged cover over the fuel tank. Sounds more in front of fuel tank. Might be cables, or brake lines, or... vibrating against something. Just have to investigate. Greg, did you get your bike up and running yet?

Comment

I was riding back home from camping in heavy heavy rain. and my bike has pods, many times during the trip home I couldn't rev over 6000. i tryed to protect them with my legs but I just had to deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X