Questions about some reccomendations from my mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about some reccomendations from my mechanic

I just got my bike back from my mechanic. I had a good reason to take it in - don't crucify me!

Anywho, when I picked it up he gave me some recommendations on stuff I should do to the bike on my own. This wasn't him trying to get me to give him more money, it was just free advice.

Supposedly high on the list - the original owner of the bike (the person before the guy I bought the bike from) cut off the bit that sticks out on the center stand to be able to fit the custom Harley exhaust that is on the bike. Two problems - one, the center stand is now stuck above the Harley exhaust and can't be put down without taking off the exhaust; two, the center stand seems to be higher than it should be, as the drive chain is ridding on it.

Question for anyone - how bad is it to have the chain rub on the center stand? It has apparently been doing this for years and years.

not that I know anything about that, but sounds pretty bad to have anything rubbing on the chain. It may not have been doing that for years as they tend to sag a bit over time and perhaps when it was installed that way it didnt touch and over time started rubbing.

I would say if you plan to keep the exhaust, lose the center stand completely.

Comment

well the PO did a lazy slovenly thing.
      its a half assed setup that you should rectify.

how bad is the chain dragging?

meh doesnt matter fix the half assed setup and it wont be an issue.

Comment

Easiest (though maybe not best) fix is drop the pipe, take off the center stand completely (DUH! what was PO thinking) and put the pipe back on. Shouldn't be too bad unless the pipe proves to be a PIA.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
          Easiest (though maybe not best) fix is drop the pipe, take off the center stand completely (DUH! what was PO thinking) and put the pipe back on. Shouldn't be too bad unless the pipe proves to be a PIA.
          Well, looking at it, it looks like parts of the exhaust were WELDED on... damn it. I think if I pop the pins on the stand I can wiggle it out without removing the exhaust.

The way the chain runs, it looks like it isn't sagging. The stand is pushed up higher than it should be (because the part that sticks out and stops it from going higher was cut off) and the chain has been ridding on it ever since.

Grrrrrr.

Comment

I concur. :-D

The quickest and easiest fix would be to remove the center stand. Then down the road you can save up for a new center stand and exhaust.

It seems almost sacrilegious to put a Harley exhaust on a GS.

Have we seen a picture yet?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              I concur. :-D

The quickest and easiest fix would be to remove the center stand. Then down the road you can save up for a new center stand and exhaust.

It seems almost sacrilegious to put a Harley exhaust on a GS.

Have we seen a picture yet?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              We have seen several pictures, but I'll toss one here.

The Harley exhaust stays - it sounds great. I love it.

I just bought a center stand on eBay for $10. I'm going to pull the old one off this weekend and hopefully put the "new" one on next weekend.

And - Picture!

Comment

Hey, lots of free Harley mufflers out there, check with dealerships for takeoffs when the new owners want straight pipes or different exhaust. I rode with a guy in PA who had them on his 1000G, free from a dealership.
                1979 GS 1000

Comment

ohhhhhhh that exhaust looks SEXY. HD stuff on a jap bike is a little weird, but it looks SWEET!

Comment

I can't beleive it didn't make a huge racket when the chain rubs on the C-stand. I hope your chain strength isn't compromised now. I would give it a good looking over.

Comment

You are most likely going to have to fabricate a new tab of sorts to hold the centerstand off the pipes - stock setup uses a rubber stopper. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with something.

Good luck.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                      X