Help with buying, I went I saw I brought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with buying, I went I saw I brought

Well I did it, and thank you to your advice. I went to Greensboro NC to second chance Motorcycles.com and Jim the owner was great no pressure, short to the point and left me alone to look and think. Here it is.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2008, 11:24 PM. Reason: My pics wont attach.

Hi Mr. sachsaca,

Congratulations on deciding to get that bike. I guess it wasn't in too bad of a shape then?

If you like, read this to help you post pictures in this forum. Don't worry. It's a right of passage here. It's really easy once you know how to do it, like one of those "Doh! I could've had a V-8" commercials.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Posting anything from my puter

I have vista and it has it's way of thinking, you have to think around windows and look in new spots for things.Once you learn where they rearanged everything it's not too bad. It was simple trying to post pics, the sight is set up user friendly even for me who has negative computer energy. Once I did the attachments it wouldn't attach, I really think it's my puter. Oh well bbq chicken and a good movie with the wife and kids gave the computer time to calm down and allow me to do the same thing again and it worked. Oh well again thanks, you were a real help with the thought process. But in all honesty it was aftrer some prayer that I got a confident feeling and went with hat. Gary
      P.S. The local Suzuki dealer in town whom I know said he wants first dibs if it's ever old, It's pretty nice, He he I got a zuki \\/. 200 miles in 2 days and my tping stimks

Comment

Looks pretty Nice

How many Miles?
        How much?

Looks pretty stock, any upgrades other than the seat, 4:1?

Posplayr

Comment

congrats on your purchase, sachsaca :-D
          GS850GT

Comment

Sachsaca's new ride

I paid $1750. for it, it has 15,000 miles on it, it has a Corbin Gunfighter type of seat but a passenger seat is built in. It has daytona style handlebars that give me a slight lean angle, but with my 5'11" self the wind helps balance me out.
            The header is a Vance and Hines and had heavy rust so I spoke with the local custom bike builder here, always helps to have one. widow maker motorcycles.com Hank said to get the rust off good and paint it with charcoal grill paint. It's a 1200* paint and he has used it it holds up well. I painted per instruction and waited. After it dried it had a haze to it so I rubbed it with a dish cloth and low and behold it took on a shine to the paint. Hank said a company is making a ceramic based paint in a spray can. He uses the charcoal paint in his shop on headers so the proof is in the pudding.
            I will post pictures of the header so you can rip me or say lucky. I have four kids and I live on a shoestring budget as a cop so you do what you can. Oh well Good memories Good rides... Gary

Comment

Well done .. I love the 1982 and 1983 GS1100E !

Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                Well done .. I love the 1982 and 1983 GS1100E !

Keep us posted.

Keep us posted with pics!

Comment

Congrats dude! I'm also an '82/'83 "E" lover.

I just recoated my V&H 4:1 headers and exhaust and used a Rustoleum High Temp paint that has a nice semi-gloss. Put about 13 coats on it after a good sandblast got rid of all old paint and rust. They turned out very nice. I'm pleased.

Comment

I really like the look of those bikes. I'll get one someday.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Wow to the upbuild

Sounds sick, I bet thats a handfull with a twist. Mine is just stock, less the bars, seat and header. I get so tempted to ride without the baffle, its got such a sweet tune when that engine finds its happy spot and you hear it hum, it makes my toes curl.
                      The recoat of the header looks sweet and thats a nice ride. I'll post a better pic of mine those were tken quick and dirty for a friend of mine to see out here.

Comment

Thanks. I just wanted to post the pic to let you see what the semi-gloss looks like. I think you mentioned flat black. Personally, I love how the semi-gloss fits in with the frame. But we all have different tastes....which is what makes this all so interesting.

I'll be looking forward to the new pics!

Comment

Only 13 coats......

I just recoated my V&H 4:1 headers and exhaust and used a Rustoleum High Temp paint that has a nice semi-gloss. Put about 13 coats on it after a good sandblast got rid of all old paint and rust. They turned out very nice. I'm pleased.
                          Only 13 coats, I do a bare miniumum of 15 coats; of course that is to compensate for having to sand off about 10 of them :shock:.

Looks nice.

Posplayr

Comment

sachsaca

I paid $1750. for it, it has 15,000 miles on it, it has a Corbin Gunfighter
                            Hey I only paid $1300 for mine(in Jan 08), but triple that and add on top and I'm hoping to stay under that budget .... But then again I quit counting a while back 8-[.

If it turns out to be a respectably reliable ride, that would be a very reasonable price. I would check the charging system first before doing anything else. Some neglected connections could wreak havoc before you know it. Do the stator papers before worrying about header paint :shock:.

I have been cranking to get mine back on the road.

More pics coming soon.

Posplayr

Comment

Stay away from that crank.
                              Remember what Nancy Reagan says.........
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X