Head gasket GS1000G questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head gasket GS1000G questions

I plan on pulling the heads and cylinders on my GS1000G 1980 and have a full gasket set from Parts'n more. Its made by Athena and seems fairly complete with many o-rings included.
    The head gasket has me a bit stumped, it seems to be made of two layers of solid metal and in some threads the issue of extra seals on the outer studs were discussed but I do not see any in the set. There are also 4 copper crush washers which I do not know where to fit.
    Any suggestions on which is up or down and the outer studs sealing?

PS: I also cannot find a rectangular o-ring that fits around the camchain opening in the set.
    Edit: Athena has confirmed today, 2008/07/08, that the rectangular gasket is not required on this gasket which is now according to the latest OEM part number for the head gasket. See details in post toward the end of this thread.

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2008, 10:22 AM. Reason: more info added

Here is a picture of the Athena head gasket if it may help. Looking at it closer it has two metal outers with some kind of black covering on the outer side and an inner with sort of shaped indentations between and this is is held together by 4 small rivets.
    I have no idea how to fit this one to the GS1000G head, if anyone can help with advice I will appreciate.
    Thanks

Comment

I think you are missing parts.

definitely need the square one for the came chain tunnel.

I am drawing a blank on the studs, when I rebuilt the top end on my 1000G the Suzuki replacement head gasket was sandwiched metal like that but I cant remember what sealed around the oil passage studs.

the old gasket was a conventional metallic coated fiber gasket with fire rings. like found on car engines.

Comment

Focus,
        Thanks, I have carefully checked the full set I odered from the States and it seems to have just about every gasket and o-ring needed, except that rectangular one. I dont know where I am going to find one around here. Do you think it can be made up?
        I also noticed that the outer stud holes are the same size as the others, not like those discussed in other threads that seem bigger to take some sort of seal.
        Hopefully someone comes along that is familiar with this type of head gasket.
        Keep well

Comment

no sealing rings around my studs, just the head gasket. you also need that rectangular o ring.

Comment

Catbed,
            Do you know if you had the same type of headgasket? Possibly an Athena?

I think once I have the head off I will be able to see the old rectangular gasket. It was a disappointment not finding one in the kit and I most probably will have to order one from the USA.

Thanks for the response.

Comment

If you haven't figured it out yet the copper washers go under the acorn head nuts, on the outer two studs as i remember

Comment

Andre, order the rectangular "O" ring for the cam tunnel from your local Suzuki dealer. It shouldn't cost much.

EDIT: Sorry, it's about $23 US.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2008, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                  Andre, order the rectangular "O" ring for the cam tunnel from your local Suzuki dealer. It shouldn't cost much.

23 bucks? Wow, what a rip-off!

Andre, I have several gasket sets for a GS1000. I'll send you the rectangular gasket out of one of them if you need it.
                  Last edited by renobruce; 05-25-2008, 09:51 PM.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

i do not know if they are the same but i had an MLS gasket. multi player steel. sounds like yours though.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                      If you haven't figured it out yet the copper washers go under the acorn head nuts, on the outer two studs as i remember
                      Lynn,
                      In the kit I got very heavy copper washers and assumed that these go under the acorn nuts once the head is fitted.
                      I also got 4 round copper crush washers and was wondering where these go. Are these the ones you are referring to?

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                        aren't they used for the exhaust pipes?

I just ordered exhaust gaskets and they were round thick copper crush O-ringy type things.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post

Don,
                          Our local people usually charge double as they again order from Belgium and it could take anything from 2 to 6 months if you are lucky!
                          Shipping is also going to be a killer as the last small part I ordered was nearly $20
                          I will see if someone from the USA cannot send me one in an envelope.
                          Thanks for the reply.

Comment

If those copper crush o rings look like this :

they go inside the head where you attach the exhaust pipes

Comment

a good pic of the parts in question would help eliminate speculation

4 copper washers go under the head acorn nuts
                              if you have another set of similar size - those likely go in the head gasket where the oil passages are
                              rectangular gasket around the cam chain (on an 850) is an (o-ring type) rubber gasket and mine was very reusable - so i'd wait untill the barrels are off to see if you actually need one
                              head gasket, if the metal inserts around the cylinders are wider on one side of the gasket - then that side of the gasket faces UP
                              Last edited by psyguy; 05-26-2008, 04:05 AM.
                              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                              X