Petcock Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Position

I have a 1983, Suzaki 650 Tempter that I was given by a neighbor. (As in free bike). I'm looking through the only document I have on it, a Clymer repair book and cannot figure out the different positions for the petcock. Can someone help?

should be straight down (off) long end right (on) long end left (res) notice i said should

Comment

Don't know that model bike, but on my GS bikes the petcock positions are all marked the same: ON, PRI, RES

- Lever straight down is ON. Keep it here most all the time, normal running position. Because the petcock is vaccum operated, gas will only come through when the engine is running.

- Lever pointed forward (or backward, I forget) is PRI. This is the prime position, used to fill the carb bowls with gas after the bike has been sitting a while. Gas will gravity feed to the carbs in this position. Do NOT leave it in this position, as the gas may leak past the needle valve seats in the carbs & find it's way into the oil. If you suspect this has happened, remove the oil fill cap & give it a good whiff - if yoiu smell gas, don't start the bike without changing the oil first or you may risk damaging the engine.

- Lever pointed backward (or forward, I forget) is RES. This is the reserve position, used to access the lower section of your gas tank - usually buys you 5 - 10 miles to gey to a gas station.

Check the markings (ON, PRI, RES) on the outside ring of the petcock, and note the arrow head on the lever. Hope that helps - good luck.

Mike
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Hi Mr. BrownDeer,

Is this your petcock?

Is your petcock vacuum operated? Are there any markings on the petcock itself? Does your petcock have one hose or two connected to it?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2008, 10:53 PM.

Comment

The petcock for that particular bike has a vacuum on it. The model # is 44300-4358. The positions are left (Res) down (On) and right (Prime)

You can find this petcock at http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/petcock_suzuki.htm

Comment

Thanks! wow!

Wow, that only took a short amount of time. OK, thanks. I've been trying to read and decode the markings. I forgot my Magic Decoder ring....

Comment

Glad to help a fellow Cheesehead!!

Comment

mine has an arrow on it noticed when i couldnt figure out the position for on. so your saying leave it in the on position to be safe. ill have to go and turn it on the cause i have it in the PRI position

Comment

Mike: Thanks for that post. I've gotten a GS11GL and it wasn't ridden for years. The petcock was left in the PRI position and can only be moved with a pair of pliers. I've left it in that position because it runs and I figured whoever had it must have known. I've only run regular nonvacuum machines with "off,on,res" Thanks again

cf

Comment

Thanks Folks

Well, after reading the responses I went out to the bike and figured out that it was in Prime position. Not a good idea from what I read. So I turned it from that to the normal operation and had to wait until morning until I could check the oil (it smelled like oil) and see if she started. She does, just fine.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                    X