clacking noise when open throttle in high gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clacking noise when open throttle in high gear

i have an 82 gs1100gl. iv always noticed the noise, but today i was sitting in traffic in 85* weather and it was alot more louder. basically, whenever im in a gear higher then what i should be in, and open the throttle, i will hear a clacking/tinging noise coming from the engine. like say im cruising at 20 mph in 5th gear at 2,000rpm, and i just turn the throttle wide open, the engine kind of bogs and slowly speeds up, its at those times when i hear the noise. it sounds as if the timing chain is like rattling against something. anyone else experience this?

Motor is lugging. That will happen on just about any bike if you wack the throttle open in a high gear and LOW LOW rpm. My 1100G does it in 4 or 5th if the RPM gets below 2.5K .

Comment

If you want to lug an engine that bad, get a Harley. They are made for tractor engine RPM, these multi cylinder high RPM engines are not.
      These are made to spin.
      You are killing it.
      That noise is detonation, pinging, pinking, knocking, whatever you want to call it, it's all the same thing, engine death.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

well of course i dont do it all the time. but when i hear a noise like that i figure id ask about it. i try to keep the engine temps down in traffic on hot summer days by using high gear at low speeds for lower rpms.

Comment

Just keep the rpm above 2500 and you'll be fine. I find my 1100G likes to CRUISE at around 3-3500 in fifth. Of course, highway is NOT cruising. She rides around 4-4500 comfortably there.

Comment

Originally posted by beachbum3478 View Post
            well of course i dont do it all the time. but when i hear a noise like that i figure id ask about it. i try to keep the engine temps down in traffic on hot summer days by using high gear at low speeds for lower rpms.
            Your logic is backwards. Running that low a RPM strains the engine. At 20-25 mph, you should be in 2nd or 3rd, where the engine is loafing in the torque band
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yea, what the others said about lugging the engine...

Detonation is very bad for the engine; causes holes in pistons among other things. You can mitigate the tenancy by checking the ignition timing (it might be advanced too far), and running a higher grade of fuel.

Good luck.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

....... or, check your valves (clearance).

Comment

The previous posters are correct and detonation or pinging as we call it is very bad. It can also be caused by your timing being incorrect in relation to the octane fuel you are using and whether you are running at sea level or higher altitudes. Newer vehicles have a knock sensor that does it automatically.

Comment

Pull your spark plugs and see if you are lean. (White)
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

well its not that its a problem, thecafekid stated before any bike would do that if u open it in a high gear. i was just wondering what the noise actually was. i mean so ur saying i cant cruise in 5th gear at 2k? i mean it only takes a 1/8 throttle to keep it going on a level road.

Comment

You might can cruise at 2K in 5th, but if you give it a healthy dose of throttle down that low in the rpm range, you will ALWAYS get the detonation. Small throttle inputs at low rpm in high gear might be alright, but don't be afraid to run the bike at 4-5,500 rpm. My GS1100EZ sits at 5-5.5K rpm's at higway speed, and is quite smooth, and not working particularly hard...gets good mileage on the highway, and it is in the middle of the powerband, so that if I need to accelerate away from an inattentive cager, I can do so quickly. Let that happen when in top gear at 2,000rpm, and you could be in trouble if you have to waste time down shiffting then accelerating...especiallt if simply braking isn't an option (i.e. tailgater)
                        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Just to add to the chorus. I don't think I've EVER cruised at 2K. Maybe 2500 on occasion, going 30 in 5th. The bike won't pull at those RPM, My 1000 STARTS to make power about 3000 and hits the power band about 4000. Goose the throttle at 2000 and it's just gonna bog down.

Comment

I will disagree somewhat with the other posters. An engine should never pre-ignite or 'ping' no matter how low the RPM. It should shutter, lug, shake, even die, but not ping. This indicates too low an octane gas, too lean a mixture or an intake leak - something is wrong.

My engine makes a similar clacking noise too when I roll the throttle at lower RPMs. After 12K miles, I think it's just the nature of the beast. But it doesn't ping. If yours does, fix it.

Comment

haha ok as said before, the reason for keeping a lower rpm was because it was 85 degrees out and i wanted to keep engine temps to a minimum. i dont think its good for the engine to go 25mph in 2nd or 3rd gear for an hour or longer. id say thatd be around 3k with almost no airflow to the engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X