Both wheels touch on center stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both wheels touch on center stand?

I have a GS650GL that is currently having it's carbs rebuilt. I put the bike up on its center stand to perform the work, but I found that both wheels still touch the ground. The center stand doesn't look damaged, but I thought it was supposed to put the back wheel in the air.

Any ideas?

Check your rear wheel size. The 650L came with a 16-inch wheel. If someone has fitted an 18-inch wheel, it could touch.

If the wheel size is OK, measure the shock length. I believe the stock length is about 13 inches from center to center of the mounting bolts. Longer shocks will allow the rear wheel to touch.

Of course, this is all assuming that the ground is flat, and you don't have the centerstand in a hole or dip. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ground is flat. Shocks are stock, but I'll measure when I get home to confirm if there's sag or not. Wheels and tires are stock size.

I'm worried that the center stand may be deformed somewhere. I've looked, but I can't find anyting obvious. It's strange, but the bike seems to lean slightly to the left while on the center stand. This leads me to believe that the center stand may be bent, but I'm not sure how I can confirm other than a side by side comparison to another GS.

Comment

Well my bike does lift up pretty well on the center stand, sits with back wheel 2 or 3 inches off the ground. Not sure exactly as my driveway isnt exactly flat.

Comment

Originally posted by buddha View Post
          I have a GS650GL that is currently having it's carbs rebuilt. I put the bike up on its center stand to perform the work, but I found that both wheels still touch the ground. The center stand doesn't look damaged, but I thought it was supposed to put the back wheel in the air.

Any ideas?
          Something is amiss...You should have about 3" of clearance when it is in the air. It may be possible that a PO used a center stand off of something else.

Comment

Originally posted by buddha View Post
            but I'm not sure how I can confirm other than a side by side comparison to another GS.
            How high is the frame from the ground when on the stand, and ask another owner of the same model to do the same.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Stand

I can easily take the back tire off of mine when it's on the center stand. You don't happen to have tractor tires on there, do you??:-D
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

If you have oversize tires the clearance under the rear tire goes down. A tall front tire raises the front end causing the bike to pivot around the center stand and down in the rear. A tall rear tire directly reduces clearance under the tire. What size tires are on the bike?
                Might explain the problem.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll check again tonight when I get home, but I believe that they are stock size.

Comment

Over time the centre stand "over-rotate" so do a visual check and see it the stand looks like its not that vertical. Might just be worn from over use. Does it seem hard to get up on the stand and then settles back down a little?
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2008, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X