Some newb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some newb questions

As some of you know, I have a 1980 GS550E. I am currently in the process of restoring this bike. I need to ask 2 questions.

1.) What are your reviews on "kenda" tires? As this is what I am putting on my bike. As the dry rot and balding has made it hazardous to ride.

2.) What is ferrous and non-ferrous metals? I want to polish up the aluminum a bit, and or replace with chrome. Looking at the polishing compounds, I don't want to put something on the bike that may damage its finish.

Thanks in advance.

Never heard of Kenda tires. Use the search function to find several discussions on the subject. Your selection will depend on how you want to balance economy, grip, and durability.

A ferrous metal is some alloy of iron. Steel, stainless, etc. are ferrous metals. IIRC "ferrite" is an old name (maybe Latin or Greek) for iron.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks man, so definately do not get the one for ferrous metal for polishing aluminum. I will search for kenda and see what pops up. Bike bandit has a nice set for a pretty good price, just want to know if anyone else has used them.

Comment

I knew some people that used Kenda Challengers on their large touring bikes, so I got a set for the 650L. That bike does not get ridden much, so I can't really say how they are holding up, but they DO hold air. \\/

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Kenda Challenger tires

Well, I found a complete matching set, new, and free shipping for about $105.00. I do not ride hard, just ride. So I think these tires will be okay for my purpose.

Comment

Kenda tires are eh-ok , not great but will do the job in good weather, not the greatest wet traction, but they are round and black and will keep your bike rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
              Kenda tires are eh-ok , not great but will do the job in good weather, not the greatest wet traction, but they are round and black and will keep your bike rolling.
              I'll be sure to get a set. :-D
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X