1983 gs550es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs550es

I just brought a 83 gs550es, got it for 600. It only starts when the choke is open all the way. once you close the choke it idles low then dies. start it back up choke wide open close it,then it idles very low, once you give it throttle it dies.Can you tell me what's going on. I got my liscence, and this is my starter bike but it's frustrating not being able to ride. Which position is the petcock suppose to be in, i have no manual to show the correct position.

Remove the carbs & disassemble them. Clean ALL of the parts & jets. Remove the mixture screw plugs & set the mixture screws 1.5 turns OUT from LIGHTLY seated. Set the float heights, reassemble carbs & reinstall. Start the bike up & let us know if it is better. After you get it running again, check the intake manifolds for vacuum leaks. If there are no vacuum leaks, sync the carbs & go for a ride. Straight down on your petcock is "ON", to the rear is "PRIME", & to the front or up is "RESERVE". From your description of the way it runs, I'll bet there is junk in the pilot jets. Let us know how it runs! Ray.

Comment

Welcome to the show! Look for BassCliff and his "Mega-welcome" page. Lot's of great info and links to even more great info.

As rapidray mentioned, the petcock is "on" in the down (6 o'clock) position (FYI: Reserve is back (3 o'clock) and Prime is up (12 o'clock)).

I would also agree that the first thing you'll want to do for the issue that your having is to disassemble and clean the carbs. We have different carbs than most of these GS bikes, but the "Carb Cleanup Series" and the "In the Garage" links on the front page of this site will give a great primer for cleaning carbs. Many folks believe in "dipping" the carbs...I have found that I have gotten great results with safety glasses and spray carb cleaner.

Best of luck!

PS: See the link in my sig for tips from the process of revitalising my bike.

Comment

Oh yeah..., I almost forgot to mention...there's free download for a factory service manual for our bikes here: RepairManualClub.com
        The sign up and download process is a bit cluedgy, but it is legit and with some patience you'll get a free factory service manual!!!

Comment

I have an 86. 550es as well. Mine is a bit picky as well. I am fiddling with the idle setting on the carbs as well. Has your bike been in storage or being ridden lately? This will give us a bit more insight into the situation.

Scott

Comment

New to bikes, no epair manual?? Do you know where the idle adjustment is? Plastic thumb screw, between the carbs, toward the back bottom of the carbs. Try the easiest things first.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

1983 gs550es

I am new to bikes, I did try the idle screw(it's not plastic) The guy who sold it to me may have done some adjustments that wern't quite up to par, but I am patient and dtermined to get my bike on the road. Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

Comment

I would also check to make sure your airbox is sealed well and that your air filter is in good condition.

Comment

1983 gs550es

where are the mixture screws for the carbs. I'mstill having issues with idling.

Comment

Follow your choke cables down to the carb, on both sides of this cable is where the screws are located on each carb. You may not be able to see them without taking the tank off. I just finished rebuilding my carbs after chem dipping and replacing all the jets and i mean ALL the jets to stock specs. The previous owner messed up the jetting really bad and my 1983 GS550E would not run or idle without the choke on!! Definetly get the free manual, chem dip them, check all jet numbers, and make sure everything is what it's supposed to be in there, also get a vernier caliper from HOME DEPOT it's only 10.00 bucks to set the float height, don't forget to replace all the o-rings to be on the safe side.

Comment

1983 gs550es

are the screws on the inside or outside of the carb. I believe the previous owner has done some screw ups as well. Thanks for the info, this is a long project but I'm in it for the long haul.

Comment

1983 gs55 es

okay, found the mixture screws, they were wide open so I adjusted them and my bike idles much better now i can actually close the choke. almost there...but once again if the bike is leaned to the right it stalls then dies along with every once in a while it suddenly runs up to 3000 rpm without touching the throttle any insight on what this could be?

Comment

Originally posted by mimi859 View Post
                          okay, found the mixture screws, they were wide open so I adjusted them and my bike idles much better now i can actually close the choke. almost there...but once again if the bike is leaned to the right it stalls then dies along with every once in a while it suddenly runs up to 3000 rpm without touching the throttle any insight on what this could be?
                          Vacuum leak. go to www.cycleorings.com and read about intake o-rings. They are a "must do" maintenance item on older bikes.
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
                          X