Adjusting points?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting points?

I am looking into a 79 750 E. The ad says it needs the points adjusted. Is that difficult or can someone who has a minor understanding do it? Here is the ad. Let me know what you think.
    http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/700180589.html
    Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2008, 06:48 PM.

First, the probability that all it needs are the points set up has to be around zero.

That said, it really depends on who's doing the work. It would take me about 20 minutes working slowly. Some people could die old men and never get it done properly.

By following directions, you can do it yourself. It takes first-rate screwdrivers and a multimeter (ohmmeter) and/or a strobe-type timing light, and patience.

I had to do mine once in pitch darkness in the parking lot of a Citgo gas station where I talked some teenager into selling me a Chrysler condenser. Mine died on I-57 between Carbondale and Joliet, and was progressively eating my contact points for 2-3, until my top end dropped to about 50 mph. I had to use the kit screwdriver to scrape the burnt points, and I had to leave the cover off (the Chrysler condenser was way too big), but the bike ran great all the way home.

If you buy the bike, think 'aftermarket solid-state'.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

robertbarr

great! i love to hear about that kind of ingenuity. should make you you proud and stronger!!!

Comment

If you buy the bike, step one, get rid of the points and go electronic.

Comment

disagree, keep the points. is what it is. points will work just fine! If you want something other than a vintage machine, and all its its "greatness", than buy a new motorcycle. Keep it as the maker intended. Don't try to change it or improve it. Restore to specification, Keep it alive as it was designed. Thats the beauty. Thats the love, thats the relationship.

Comment

I tend to agree with nert. The points are still available as a replacement part (just be sure to double check you're buying the right kind) so stick with them. It's not rocket science to set them up, just REALLY annoying as I am discovering. Haven't quite got mine set yet, but my gradual understanding of the premise and logic of the system is very satisfying.

Besides $120 is a lot of money to spend on a unit that could just full on fail out of the blue. Chrysler condensers won't help you there....

Comment

Replacing points and condensers.

tools needed>>> screwdrivers, feeler gauges, ignition wrenches or needle nose pliers, 12 v test light or 12v light bulb with two wires.
              level of difficulty on a scale of 1 to 10>>>about a 2
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by nert View Post
                disagree, keep the points. is what it is. points will work just fine! If you want something other than a vintage machine, and all its its "greatness", than buy a new motorcycle. Keep it as the maker intended. Don't try to change it or improve it. Restore to specification, Keep it alive as it was designed. Thats the beauty. Thats the love, thats the relationship.
                Damn, back to the drawing board. :-D
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I bought a Dyna ign about two years ago, it's still packed away. Yes it is time to check the points again, 10K miles is way too long.

Comment

Working...
                  X