Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some gs1100 torque specs please

Hey all,
    I just ordered a 530 chain and sprockets for my new '83 1100e but I don't have a service manual yet. I want to change out the tire and chain next week but I need torque measurements for the sprocket bolts (front and back), axle bolt, caliper bolts and anything else back there you can think of. Can anyone help me out? Thanks a heap!

Josh

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
    Hey all,
    I just ordered a 530 chain and sprockets for my new '83 1100e but I don't have a service manual yet. I want to change out the tire and chain next week but I need torque measurements for the sprocket bolts (front and back), axle bolt, caliper bolts and anything else back there you can think of. Can anyone help me out? Thanks a heap!

Josh
    PM me your email address and I will see if I can scan a page or two from my 82 manual.

Mark

Comment

Non-engine bolts
      Large-very tight
      Medium-medium tight
      Small-Kinda tight

:-D
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If it's an important bolt, tighten it until it strips.

If it's not quite that important, tighten until it strips, then back off half a turn. 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          If it's an important bolt, tighten it until it strips.

If it's not quite that important, tighten until it strips, then back off half a turn. 8-[

We're the spec duo! \\/
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            We're the spec duo! \\/
            Ah sweet! Thanks so much guys. I usually stop when the blood starts dripping from my knuckles but these are much more acurate. :shock:

Josh

Comment

Id give you torque specs on MY 1100s rear sprocket, but...it doesnt have a rear sprocket, or a front for that matter either8-[

Comment

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
                I usually stop when the blood starts dripping from my knuckles ...
                Dripping blood also makes a good torque indicator, but I have found that if your hands are dirty, the flow rate is affected. It also helps to know what kind of dirt is on your hands. The drip rate is different if it's just dirt, oil or grease, and by the time the blood starts flowing, you are probably not interested in consulting the tables to calculate drip rate based on what type of dirt is involved. :-\"

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Probably gotta look at your tools.

I just did my clutch and didnt have my regular 3/8 drive ratchet so I used my standby combo 1/4" & 3/8" stubby ratchet. I could tell right away I had about 1/2" the torque leverage. It was still plenty for the bike so I would suggest staying away from a 1/2" breaker (wrecker) bar. :-D
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                  X