Choke problem???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke problem???

What causes a choke to malfunction, other than your hands not being tight enough?

I put my bike back together today, and found that my choke is not working. Linkage is fine, not binding, and choke rods all engage. I am not sure what else would cause the choke from doing its job.

Any ideas?

Oh, btw, they are BS32SS cv carbs.

Did you prime the bowls?
    What makes you think the choke isn't operating? Pretty simple design.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's not actually a choke as people think. It is a fuel passage in the carb that richens the fuel mixture. If the tubes that extend into the float bowl are pluged they won't work

Comment

Well, my carbs have all been cleaned, thoroughly. New o-rings, blown out, and over-hauled via the carb rebuild series.

I could not get my bike to start no matter what I did. I had set the petcock to pri, and waited. I checked the fuel bowls for gas, and they were full. So, I pulled up on the knob, hit the starter, and nothing. I pulled a plug, and it was bone dry.

I took a small oil can, filled it with gas, and squirted a bit down a cylinder, and she fired right up. Something isn't right, and I can't figure out how to start my bike without having to pull a plug and squirt gas in it.

Any ideas?

Comment

Did you bench sync your carbs after you put them back together? Im not sure exactly how you do it on the BS carbs, but I am pretty sure that it needs to be done. Check the rebuild tutorial, i think it tells you there. Also, did you set your idle screw when you put them back together? Not assuming you are dumb or anything, but I know I have made these type of mistakes when the feavor of getting the bike going hits...

Comment

Yes, I bench synched the carbs, and I set all idle mixture screws at 3.5 turns. I guess I will wait a little while, go out to the garage with a clear head, and take another look. Sometimes the obvious will elude us when we work to hard on something.

Comment

crushed end on cable toward carbs....

So, after going out today and taking a better look, I see that the bracket that holds the choke cable in place was over-tightened. It actually pinched the cable just enough, where I would see play on the choke rods, but not really enough to fully engage the choke. After fixing this, I attempted to start my bike. Sure ****, she fired right up. Revved up to 2500 rpms, stayed there, but I could here a miss. I let her warm up, took her around the block, still had that slight bog, or hesitation when accelerating, and back to the garage I went.

Plug pulls revealed, banks 1-3 normal, bank 4 rich as all get out. All mixture screws were set equal. Since turning them in would lean her out, I turned the screw all the way in, and then backed it out 2 1/2 instead of the 3 1/2. She seemed to settle down, and I have a good constant idle. No hesitation when I hit the throttle, responds beautifully, and I am sure if I took her out for a quick ride, the power would be back.

I was almost contemplating dropping my main needle jet down a notch to see if that would help, or go with a slightly hotter plug, which I would rather not do.

I will see if I can get some pics posted of my bike. She aint much, but she is paid for ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X