Do 850 parts fit 1100's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do 850 parts fit 1100's?

i have a 82 gs1100gl parts bike that i decided to get back on the road. there is a gs850 at the junkyard and i was wondering if the body parts would fit on my 1100. such as brake pedals, turn signals, rear fender and inner fender, and the gauges. thats bascially all the odds and ends i need. but i dont wanna buy all the stuff from the 850 and find out they wont fit on my 1100. thanks.

What year is the 850? Based on my knowlege of the 82 1100G and the 82 850G the body parts are a direct swap. I would assume so for just about all the rest of it as well. However, the pre 82 850 stuff is mounted differently, so aside from maybe the signals (which are pretty universal from model to model) and the gauges and MAYBE the brake pedal, not much else would work. The final drive, forks, wheels (but would require a bit of shimming if pre 82 but not hard at all) brakes, rotors and the like are also interchangable as far as i know. The wheels will be slightly different in width, but they will work. I happen to have a rear wheel from an 81 850G on my 1100G at the moment.

Also, if that 850 is an 82 "G" model, I am looking for a tank!!!

Comment

not sure the year. but cool to know things will interchange directly depending on the year. unfortuneltly there is no tank or seat. theres a 4-1 exhaust though. would an 850 exhaust headers fit on an 1100? not sure the width and diameter of the 850s exhaust ports. thanks for the 3 in the morning reply, only on gsr haha.

Comment

Originally posted by beachbum3478 View Post
        not sure the year. but cool to know things will interchange directly depending on the year. unfortuneltly there is no tank or seat. theres a 4-1 exhaust though. would an 850 exhaust headers fit on an 1100? not sure the width and diameter of the 850s exhaust ports. thanks for the 3 in the morning reply, only on gsr haha.
        NOT sure on the head port spacing, but generally i do believe MOST if not all of the 8v ports (and i think even the 16v too?) are the same. The big stopper on that is WHERE and HOW does it mount up in back? Your 1100G likely has the pseudo chrome passenger peg mount thingies, where as the PRE 82 850s had just an extra bit of frame back there for the pegs. Generally thats also where the rear exhaust bracket is mounted, so youd have to take a look to see if it would line up. If NOT, its certainly do-able with a lil bit of minor fabrication. I DO think that the head pipes will line up tho, as we've managed to stick 1000 pipes on a 8v 750 motor.

Comment

tck has got you covered :-D

just want to add - all 750 and up pipes are exchangeable as a whole system, they will clear the frame etc,
          however the mounting points and the 4-2 design has changed over the years
          as long as you have means of fabricating simple muffler brackets you can go for any exhaust
          GS850GT

Comment

If the 850 is an 82L model quite a bit of the cosmetics other parts are interchangable. Sidecovers, speedo drive, guages rear grab rail, etc. The rear fenders are also the same. I believe the pre 82 models were slightly different but you would still be able to use a lot of the parts as long as it is an L.
            82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
            81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
            83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
            06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
            AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

ok cool, thanks guys. i didnt know that any 750 or bigger exhaust would interchange even up to a 1100. does it matter what years too, or just basically anything between 78 to 82 thats a 750 to 1100 will interchange besides rear mounting issues?

Comment

Well, I think you will find more trouble in doing it if you try to use a 16v pipe with an 8v head and vice verse. The ports are VERY close to being the same, but i think just enough off to give you hell, as in, it would fit, but will it fit RIGHT?. Also, "L" model pipes are generally shorter than the standard model pipes, so their muffler hangers will likely be in an entirely different place from eachother. However, as said, if you can do some minor fab work to make a hanger, you should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by beachbum3478 View Post
                  i have a 82 gs1100gl parts bike that i decided to get back on the road. there is a gs850 at the junkyard and i was wondering if the body parts would fit on my 1100. such as brake pedals, turn signals, rear fender and inner fender, and the gauges. thats bascially all the odds and ends i need. but i dont wanna buy all the stuff from the 850 and find out they wont fit on my 1100. thanks.

The parts you mention are compatible with the 1100. I have an 850 and I can use most parts from an 1100. As for the exhaust you can still buy a new 1100 exhaust from bike bandit.

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                    The parts you mention are compatible with the 1100. I have an 850 and I can use most parts from an 1100. As for the exhaust you can still buy a new 1100 exhaust from bike bandit.
                    What???? You can still buy the stock exhaust for the 1100G????? Ohhhh man....I can see another near grand disappearing from my wallet in the future...

Comment

Working...
                    X