Main Fuse keeps blowing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Fuse keeps blowing....

I went out to my bike this morning turned the key and there was nothing. no lights no power nothing. Turned out to be the main fuse. No biggie, I swaped it out. I also noticed I lost my flasher along the way so on the way to work I stopped at the auto store to grab another one. Got it, put it in (with zip ties this time :P)

I put in the key turned it and again nothing. Sure as **** the main fuse was blown. So i swapped it again and got on the road to work.

End of day, I go to leave work and sure enough fuse was shot, replaced it and rode home.

On the way the fuse went, bike lost power. Had to pull over swap it out and again head home.

Sooo, this is new :P WTF??? R/R????

Originally posted by mortation View Post
    I went out to my bike this morning turned the key and there was nothing. no lights no power nothing. Turned out to be the main fuse. No biggie, I swaped it out. I also noticed I lost my flasher along the way so on the way to work I stopped at the auto store to grab another one. Got it, put it in (with zip ties this time :P)
    Lost your flasher? I bet the wires are chafed and grounding to the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
      Lost your flasher? I bet the wires are chafed and grounding to the frame.
      Na. I checked em. It was just one of thos big heavy electronic ones and it slid upside down and fell out no doubt after I hit a big bump I replaced it and zip tied it to the socket so no more dispearing $20 flashers :P

Works good. I was reading a bad RR will cause fuses to blow and all kinds of crap. And since I broke a chunk of it off when I put it on I figured it would be a safe bet to just replace it.

Comment

It could be the RR but it could also be a short somewhere else..... Have you checked how much power is going through that fuse with ignition off? Seems to happen either when you turn the key or when it's standing!

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Check your ignition switch.
          Check your wiring diagram and follow the wires going into the main. Ignition switch will be the main suspect.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well its not the switch. I checked all the electrica to make sure nothing was shorted or grounding. And its gotten worse to the point I cant make it 30 feet down the road before it blows the fuse and I have to coast to the side of the road and swap the fuse.

FUDGE!!!

Well the new R/R will be here tomorrow so I will swap it out then and hope for the best

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              Have you checked how much power is going through that fuse with ignition off? Seems to happen either when you turn the key or when it's standing!

Dan
              A quick checked showed nothing going through when the bike is off.

Comment

Check all wires, mine did the same thing and I found out it was a short on my horns.

Comment

Originally posted by etravis2 View Post
                  Check all wires, mine did the same thing and I found out it was a short on my horns.
                  I am going to double check everything tonight when I put the new R/R in. Hopefully I will be able to fix this without stripping out the harness and replacing it

Comment

OK so I swapped out the R/R with a new one from Z1 (Looks bigger and better too!). Put in a new 15A fuse and went for a ride, messed with turning the key off and on, stopped a few times to shut off the bike and restart it, cranked up the RPMS and no fuse blowing. So keeping my fingers crossed I hope its good

My old R/R was definitely whacked lol. I broke a chunk off the heatsink getting it off the old battery box. Looks like it cracked the sealed electronics box too and water and stuff got in it. It also had that burnt electronics smell. Soooo either way its good I replaced that.

And on another note I don't know if this is even possible but the bike seems to be running "different". Idle seems smoother, quieter. I don't know how/if its related but the bike is noticeably different. Dunno.

Comment

Right on!!!!!! \\/
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                      X