No announcement yet.

valve adjustment gurus!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah steve gave me an excel file to work from to get the right sizes of shim at the store I believe that is what it's for. I am just working with it now and got the shims off I just wasnt using common sense today.

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
      yeah I finnaly found them they are .03 and .08
      Actually, its .03 TO .08 Anything in between those when you measure with your feeler gauges is acceptable.

Comment

does anyone live near this guy???

it would be way easier if someone could spend an hour with him and walk him through this stuff once...

once you learn it it never goes away

Comment

I would also like to remind everyone reading this thread,

Do Not Turn Your Motor With The Shims Removed! You can damage your cam lobes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2008, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Cliff, where'd you find a 3.55mm shim???

Biggest I have is 2.80.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post

Biggest I have is 2.80.
              It was just an picture I found through Google images, for illustration purposes only.

Perhaps I should have used these from Z1:

The above are 29.5mm in diameter and 2.30mm thick. Z1 stocks them up to 3.00mm. Click the picture to go to Z1's selection of shims. It's where I buy mine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

So how bad would it be if I were to turn the crank without the shims in. how bad is it to have a scored lobe?

Comment

So how bad would it be if I were to turn the crank without the shims in. how bad is it to have a scored lobe?
                  Depends how badly it's scored, you didn't score it did you?

To answer the question scoring will lead to premature wear and failure.

Unlike all these guys suggested I would have recommended you find someone who could show you how to do this kinda work, not that it's rocket science but there are too many ways to mess up especially if you didn't know what a cam lobe was.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

In my ignorance long ago, I did this. It scrapes up the outside edges of the cam lobe and FREAKS YOU OUT. However, 10K miles later I can report no long-term negative effects.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
                      In my ignorance long ago, I did this. It scrapes up the outside edges of the cam lobe and FREAKS YOU OUT. However, 10K miles later I can report no long-term negative effects.
                      Few ok good I didnt have any scrapes

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post

Biggest I have is 2.80.
                        You need any 3.05 or 3.10? I have some of them. 8-[

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          You need any 3.05 or 3.10? I have some of them. 8-[

Wow. No. I wish I had need of them. Mine are all around 2.50

Comment

I played with shims today. Fixing up a 1986 GS450 for friend. Some of the clearances were so tight I didn't have a feeler guage small enough. Only had to go back to the Suzuki dealer three times to trade. :?
                            I like my sixteen valve even more today.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                            X