No announcement yet.

Engine Paint In Grey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a lot guys. There's some great information here. When I get around to the paint job this will be a real valuable thread. A good idea to maybe only do the top case half as it will be the only one on show.
    Thanks again guys. it looks like it will be VHT for me.

Comment

Anyone use duplicolor on their engine? I have applied it to do calipers and some small parts with success. Getting ready to do the 1100E, trying to decide which way to go.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2009, 11:47 PM.

Comment

WTF is wrong with VHT universal Aluminum paint? When i did my bike 11 yrs ago i didnt paint the tappet cover. I know its original suzi paint and i can not tell the differance at all. And the bottom half of the cases are NOT painted as standard. Pics to follow

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
          WTF is wrong with VHT universal Aluminum paint? When i did my bike 11 yrs ago i didnt paint the tappet cover. I know its original suzi paint and i can not tell the differance at all. And the bottom half of the cases are NOT painted as standard. Pics to follow
          I have used VHT clear high temp with success on calipers, the only reason I asked is because I have several new cans of gray engine dup I have not used. I would like something a little darker, not to concerned with the stock color match.

Comment

What about VHT caliper paint on the engine?? The temp range is rated higher than the engine paint & it says it's more chip resistant... I was considering using the "cast alum" color on my 1100E to clean it up a bit.

Any downside to using caliper paint vs. engine paint on an engine?
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

at the risk of sounding stupid... isn't painting an air cooled engine usually a bad idea due to insulating characteristics of paint?

my brother and i used to rebuild, drive, sometimes race old volkswagens. usually when we wanted to improve the appearance we would sand or bead blast for a good factory aluminum/magnesium color or polish and or metal plate for a custom look. we had one baja that had a stock 1600 painted black, the only engine that died that season. the 1776 engine with brass plating was still going strong when it was sold. the 1835 with chrome plating lasted until it was sold.

so major question, how much does painting change the heat shedding characteristics of the fins? not trying to start a debate, just interested as i would rather use paint on my bike instead of having to dismount, plug, dip, etc the engine to get a good custom look for it.

Comment

Suzuki painted the engines silver so I don't think sealing in heat is a problem.

Regarding caliper paint, I used some of the Duplicolor caliper paint and that stuff is killer thick and hard to spray. Not sure about other brands but I don't think that's the best stuff for an engine.

Regarding VHT aluminum engine paint, I still say that stuff doen't match the factory color that well but it looks good regardless.

I used POR-15 engine paint on my 1000S rebuild project and now the silver is turning yellowish after only a short time. I can't recommend it although it does have killer durability against scratching and chemicals.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah my plans of coarse are to strip and thoroughly clean it, the Dupli-color I used on my calipers was actually engine enamel DE1651 cast coat iron being the color code. It went on very thin requiring several coats. I prefer a little darker color than the stock. Here it is on the calipers..

Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2009, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Ok, so back to my original question...has anyone used Dupli-color engine enamel on an engine?

Comment

don't know if it helps, but... i've used it on a few watercooled engines, looked great, lasted for years. i used red for the valve cover, black on the engine and radiator, and clear coat on everything.

photos were taken 1 year or so after application.

Comment

Originally posted by trintek View Post
                        don't know if it helps, but... i've used it on a few watercooled engines, looked great, lasted for years. i used red for the valve cover, black on the engine and radiator, and clear coat on everything.

photos were taken 1 year or so after application.
                        Thats good info, thanks man...I guess I'm partial to the color that I want to use, that's why I was curious if anyone had used it with success over a long period of time.

Comment

that was used on a 1965 ford f100 inline 6... ran hot as hell all the time, even with new radiator and added scoops for air. it still looked new when i sold the truck last year, had around 3 years on it at that point. just make sure you do a good job of prepping the metal first and you shouldn't have any issues.

edit:
                          only issue i had was after 2 years, the black and clear coat started to peel around the exhaust header

Comment

I used plasticote (I was told it was the same or made by the same people as duplicolor) black engine enamel on my 750, baked it before assembly, and the finish on it not isnt shiny anymore after a year of
                            riding. Smudging on the head and valve cover from doing maintenance. If that helps

Comment

I used Duplicolour satin black VHT on my lad's trail bike motor - the whole thing, head, cylinder, cases etc - and it's lasted surprisingly well (surprising as the whole bike has had some tough times in the mud). It's not petrol resistant however so you need to be careful afterwards (no leaky carbs allowed!).

Tried it on his exhaust as well but it only lasted a few days on the first 18 inches (which was what I expected but nothing ventured....).
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                                Ok, so back to my original question...has anyone used Dupli-color engine enamel on an engine?
                                Yep - Duplicolor DE1615 Engine Enamel - flows nice, doesn't discolor and matches the original color very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X