oil leak from bottom seal of engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak from bottom seal of engine

Hi i guys i just purchased my first bike. 1981 gs250T. it only has 4,500 miles on it. The owner told me that a small leak started to happen when he switched o synthetic oil. so he drove it over the Santa Cruz mountains for me and brought it to my house. I drove him back home and went to my house to check out my new baby. There were only a couple of drops of oil.

I was practicing yesterday and when i came home left the bike on idle for like 5 minutes. while i was smoking a cigarette. Then i realized that my bike had like 4 teaspoons of new oil on the ground. not black oil. it looked like oil thats been sitting in it bottle.

i checked for the leak and it seems to be coming from the first gasket on the bottom of the engine right next to the kickstand. Can i change that gasket without taking the engine off the bike? any help would be appreciated so i don't have to spend money at a shop. thanks guys.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2008, 02:25 PM.

Are you talking about the shifter shaft seal? Or the case gasket?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Pictures please.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
        Are you talking about the shifter shaft seal? Or the case gasket?
        sorry i dont know the difference. all i know is that if you look at the bottom of the engine. the first gasket right above the drain plug is leaking. sorry i dont know the name

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          Pictures please.
          i will try to post pic soon. thank a lot guys

Comment

Just want to welcome you to forum. I will take a wild stab and guess from your description it is the oil pan gasket that you speak of. Is the leak closer to front, where the oil filter cover is? The cover has a oring that can leak if not installed correctly. In either case, check to make sure bolts and nuts are tight, but go easy, it is an aluminum case. Good luck:-D.

Comment

I believe you have the 2 stroke engine. The other side of the bike should have a resouvier. That will have the 2 stroke oil in it. Check the line from the bottom of the tank. Make sure it is not leaking there. Be sure to check oil at each fill up or you may cook the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by etravis2 View Post
                I believe you have the 2 stroke engine. The other side of the bike should have a resouvier. That will have the 2 stroke oil in it. Check the line from the bottom of the tank. Make sure it is not leaking there. Be sure to check oil at each fill up or you may cook the engine.
                I dont know much about the smaller engined Suzukis, but I dont think any type of GS would be a two stroke, even a 250. The fiche shows it as a four-valve head, which makes it a twin cylinder four stroke.

Comment

Working...
                X