Just got my Carbtune... 2nd gas tank question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my Carbtune... 2nd gas tank question

OK.. first off, I have a carbtune folks can use in the Superior, WI or Duluth, MN area.

Secondly, when I look in many threads regarding syncing or otherwise adjusting the carbs, people hook up some sort of secondary fuel tank using an old gas can or something similar. Why?

Is there some reason you can't just get some extra long fuel line and use the tank you just took off the bike? I assume if this was possible you'd have to set it to "prime."

Also, I just want to double-check... When syncing the carbs your are supposed to plug the vacuum hose coming up from the carbs correct?

Thanks all for your help once again,
    Craig

That works fine. Make sure you clamp the vacuum hose off (leaving it connected to the carbs) so it's sealed.

Get a straight through joining piece & then you don't have to disconnect your existing fuel pipe from the carbs (a real pain on CV's if they are not off the bike!)

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I just flip the tank backwards and set it on the frame with the tunnel over the rear fender well and strap a bungee over it. I use longer fuel line with an in-line filter to connect to line @ carbs and a longer vac line to #2 carb(1100E doesn't have prime setting).

Comment

I'm running my GS this way tonight as I work with my carbtune. You can make/buy an auxiliary tank and its less risk of having your tank fall to the floor but if you're careful you can use your existing tank.

I run a long vac line and a piece of tygon fuel line that fits over the fuel hose and the tank nipple, then I just run it in the On position.

/\/\ac

I think an Outdoor Power shop might have a tank you can hang.

Comment

Auxillary tanks are for the wrenchers that like to spend the money or equate spending money to doing a good job.

If you make it SOMEONE will buy it :-D

Comment

Great. Thanks everyone. That's what I needed to hear. I just hope it quits raining long enough this weekend for me to get the job done.

Comment

Wait! One more question... what size is the vacuum line? Maybe I'll pick some up after work and not worry about clamping it off and running on prime.

Comment

Auxiliary tank

An auxiliary tank is, by far, the best way to go. I bought a new one on ebay and it even came with a petcock. It was much cheaper than the Motion Pro tanks and looks to be the same thing.
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I'm pretty sure you want 3/16 hose for the vacuum line.

Use fuel line, not vacuum line. When I used vac line the heat caused it to stiffen up, this didn't cause running problems but once I took it off the tank it never really sealed well and I ended up replacing it.

/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
                  X