No announcement yet.

The $150 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up here near Toronto you can't really find bikes that run under $500. Hell if it's saftied it'll go for $1500-$1750 easy, no matter the year,make,model or mileage.
    So hence I bought this 1982 GS550M for $200. I figure about $800 - $1000 in and I'm already ahead.

Comment

Shoulda taken some pics before starting dissassembly. Thats the reason I haven't posted any yet. Who wants to see pics of parts

Comment

IT RUNS!!!!

I did a compression check: 120, 100, 100, 60.

As I said, I finally got it to run without the choke on, but the lowest I can get it to idle is over 2000 rpms. Its also blowing gray smoke constantly.

Comment

oh yeah, it backfires when starting and when I open the throttle.

Comment

Ok, so I reset the floats and it no longer smokes

But now it will only start and run with the choke on, and then it idles at 4k. I can close the choke partially and it will run down to 2.5k, but any lower and it dies and if i try to open the throttle, it dies.

Im guessing its too lean now?

Comment

Do you have the air box & filter on it? If not... that's your problem.

60 on that cylinder is very low, even the others aren't great, hope the rings seat better than that with some use.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

It has been sitting a while, the newest registration on the plates is 1989.

Yes, the factory airbox and an OEM filter are on it. I fiddled with it more and I can sometimes get it to idle with the choke off around 1500 RPM, but after I rev it, it will die. If I use the throttle stop screw, It wont die anymore but it hovers around 3k for a while before dropping to 1500 again.

I'm about to do a fuel injection conversion

Comment

I finally got it to run smoothly and idle without the choke once it warms up. It revs well, shifts through all the gears smoothly on the stand etc. so I figured I would take it for a test ride. Well, the seat pan was so rusted that when I sat on it, it broke and the seat came back off

So I started playing with some fiberglass:

Comment

Well, its alive. The stuck ring broke free and I now have good compression on all cylinders. I ran it around the block a few times. Its for sale now: http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/1065847124.html

Comment

Nice work Mr. Napoleon47.

Too bad you're going to sell it. Are you going to get another GS to flip?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

8. On '79 models, install new points or Dyna electronic ignition (or at least verify that the old points are working correctly)

What parts are considered "new points"? I have a electric ignition now but it doesn't work, no clicks or anything. What parts are considered new points? Is it a part or combination of multiple points?

Comment

Syren,

Ignition contact breaker points is what they mean, just like in a 1960's, or older, Amercian car distributor.

They get burned, wear out and the rubbing block wears down, screwing up your dwell angle.
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Big T,
                            Thanks for the reply but I'm still not exactly sure what you mean. I have an idea but not certain where to look on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                              Nice work Mr. Napoleon47.

Too bad you're going to sell it. Are you going to get another GS to flip?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Thanks, I'm not necessarily trying to flip it as much as I am trying to break even . I will own another bike someday, they aren't where I need to be in life right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X