*&%#ing valve cover gasket!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*&%#ing valve cover gasket!!

Adjusted the valves and installing a new gasket on my buddy's 700E, and I can't seem to get the gasket to stay in the cover so I can install it. I've tried it dry, I've tried with oil.

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
    Adjusted the valves and installing a new gasket on my buddy's 700E, and I can't seem to get the gasket to stay in the cover so I can install it. I've tried it dry, I've tried with oil.

Any suggestions?
    I axle greased both sides of mine. Just smeared on thin. I then laid it on the cardboard backing from the package so I could slide it off onto the head. I put a couple screws through temporarily to make sure everything was in place, then put the cover on. The grease held everything in place perfectly. It helped a lot on my recent stator cover juggling act too.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      I axle greased both sides of mine. Just smeared on thin. I then laid it on the cardboard backing from the package so I could slide it off onto the head. I put a couple screws through temporarily to make sure everything was in place, then put the cover on. The grease held everything in place perfectly. It helped a lot on my recent stator cover juggling act too.
      i second this one. invalueable trick. good for holding o rings in place too!

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
        i second this one. invalueable trick. good for holding o rings in place too!
        Oh yeah, forgot about that. That little monster on the oil filter cover... Good thing I had a spare after the first attempt.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks guys, that did it.

Comment

Working...
          X