Hard to select neutral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to select neutral?

One thing I noticed on my new bike is its kinda hard to select neutral, when I toe up on the lever it wants to go into second. If I reach down and do it by hand I can get it into neutral, and it shifts fine otherwise.

Is this common? Something you get a feel for, or something that can be adjusted? Might be kind of annoying in city riding.

Thanks,
    Skye

Originally posted by SNott View Post
    Is this common? Something you get a feel for, or something that can be adjusted?
    All of the above.
    • You may be able to adjust the clutch a little.
    • An oil change may make it easier to select and -
    • you will get a better 'feel' through your foot after a while.

Comment

my 85 gs700 is the same way. I Just shut it off in 1 then half click right in. Would be nice to know how to fix this. Good question...

Comment

Originally posted by SNott View Post
        One thing I noticed on my new bike is its kinda hard to select neutral, when I toe up on the lever it wants to go into second. If I reach down and do it by hand I can get it into neutral, and it shifts fine otherwise.

Is this common? Something you get a feel for, or something that can be adjusted? Might be kind of annoying in city riding.

Thanks,
        Skye

Both of my GSs are sometimes hard to shift into neutral, especially when they have been flogged hard and are hot. I find that if i toe up into second, and simply *tap* the shift lever down, it goes right into neuatral. I can seldom get into neutral from first when theyve been running a while.

And, not trying to tell you how to ride, but, especially in the city, its generally a safe proceedure to keep the bike in gear at lights. You never know when you may need to get out of the way in a hurry!

Comment

Make sure the shaft that the shifter arm is on is greased and not binding. Give the shift linkage a shot of LPS too.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

If you aren't the original owner I'll bet someone put a Barnett clutch in it! They work like crap, have NO feel, & have neutral finding issues, ESPECIALLY if it is an "extra" plate kit. Put a STOCK Suzuki clutch back in it & look at the inner & outer hubs to see if they are gouged. If they are fix those also & I'll bet the clutch works perfectly! You also need to make sure the clutch lever has the proper adjustment so the clutch will disengage correctly. Ray.

Comment

There is no fix. That is the way it is designed. It is to keep you from accidentally going into neutral when shifting from first to second.

It is a lot easier to find neutral when the motor is off. My shut down procedure is to shift down to first, come to a stop and then hit the kill switch. If I need to roll the bike forward or back to park it, I leave the key on and fiddle with the shift lever until the neutral light comes on.

Yes, as with anything, the more you do it the better you will get at it. But I have found very few situations other than startup where I needed to be in neutral with the motor running. You really don't want to be in neutral in traffic because you never know when you might have to scurry out of harms way and you don't want to be sitting there trying to kick it into gear with some large vehicle bearing down on you.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                If you aren't the original owner I'll bet someone put a Barnett clutch in it! They work like crap, have NO feel, & have neutral finding issues, ESPECIALLY if it is an "extra" plate kit. Put a STOCK Suzuki clutch back in it & look at the inner & outer hubs to see if they are gouged. If they are fix those also & I'll bet the clutch works perfectly! You also need to make sure the clutch lever has the proper adjustment so the clutch will disengage correctly. Ray.

BTDT !!

Heres my basket after I filed out most of the gouges. Not perfect but it will do. That Barnett extra plate kit really F'ed it up.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                  There is no fix. That is the way it is designed. It is to keep you from accidentally going into neutral when shifting from first to second.

It is a lot easier to find neutral when the motor is off. My shut down procedure is to shift down to first, come to a stop and then hit the kill switch. If I need to roll the bike forward or back to park it, I leave the key on and fiddle with the shift lever until the neutral light comes on.

Yes, as with anything, the more you do it the better you will get at it. But I have found very few situations other than startup where I needed to be in neutral with the motor running. You really don't want to be in neutral in traffic because you never know when you might have to scurry out of harms way and you don't want to be sitting there trying to kick it into gear with some large vehicle bearing down on you.
                  Agreed. And I've found a couple times when ive accidently had it slip into neutral in traffic, you actually may have to MOVE the bike (a lil forward or a lil backward) to get it to drop back into gear. Not good if you need to move out of the way RIGHT NOW!

Comment

Designed??

That's not the way they were designed. Neither of my bikes ends up in neutral by accident but I can 'find' neutral on both bikes, very easily, from either 2nd or 1st. That's the way they were built and mine just happen to still be that way. I'm sure many others are, as well.
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                      That's not the way they were designed. Neither of my bikes ends up in neutral by accident but I can 'find' neutral on both bikes, very easily, from either 2nd or 1st. That's the way they were built and mine just happen to still be that way. I'm sure many others are, as well.
                      Agreed, all my GSes have been easy to get neutral from 1st or 2nd, never ever have missed a shift.

Maybe it's all in the wrist action.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Agreed, all my GSes have been easy to get neutral from 1st or 2nd, never ever have missed a shift.

Maybe it's all in the wrist action.
                        Ive never missed a shift, but I have found it to be difficult as i said to get it into neutral from FIRST. Cake from second. Maybe some clutch adjustment is in order... Add that to the list of stuff to work on over the next few days.

Comment

Shifting

I'm TOTALLY guessing (because I don't pretend to know) but I would think the issue is probably with the transmission and not with the clutch.
                          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                            I'm TOTALLY guessing (because I don't pretend to know) but I would think the issue is probably with the transmission and not with the clutch.
                            Its possible, but if the clutch isnt disengaging all the way, its not going to let it into neutral. A transmission issue would also tend to crop up IN gears, and Ive not had a problem with it yet. As well as the fact that it ONLY has this problem when its hot after being ridden hard. Any other time, i can get into neutral from first or second..

Comment

Mine doesn't like to reveal neutral all that much either. If I have trouble I usually roll it back and forth while I shift. I only leave it in neutral when I'm done riding for the day (so when it is locked up) or when I am starting it up. Other then that I leave it in gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X