Question for the old salts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the old salts

What is the recommended ballpark setting for the a/f mixure screws on a 80 GS100G?
    I got two of the plugs out last night and found one to be 1-1/2 turns out and the other only one.
    Only looking for a ballpark figure as a base for tuning purposes.
    My Kaw Concours ran best at 2 to 2-1/2 turns out.
    This is assuming stock jetting and intake and exhaust system of course.

Thanks!

Well Steve and I tinkered a bit with my carbs this past week, (1100G) found them in the 2.25 to 2.75 range. (couple were one, the other two were the other.) It runs t!ts! Smooth as buttah. Id start around 2. see what happens, then play from there.

Comment

Holy Schmitt trigger!
      Talk about a fast response!
      I kinda fingered it might be in that neighborhood.
      I just bought this bike and the mufflers are discolored blue, indicating it was either real lean or way rich and the excess fuel was cooking off in the mufflers.
      Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Mine ran good at 2.5. Much less than that it wouldn't idle or would hang. It had the 40 pilots & 180 air jets in it.

I'm now running 42 pilots & 160 air jets, (Canadian setup) they are set at 3 turns out but it's too rich, (stumbles on Idle when V hot) I'll probably take them down to 2.5 or 2 & try again.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks, SM. IIRC mine has the 40s and 180s.

That gives me a baseline to work from, thanks to all!

Comment

Fire the bike up & turn the screws in or out 1/4 turn at a time till the engine idles the fastest. Do one carb at a time then move to the next. If the engine speeds up a lot after doing one turn the idle down & move on to the next. You WILL be happy with the results! Ray.

Comment

You didn't mention if you have the stock pipe on the bike or not. The double walled Stock pipe shouldn't blue "as much" as an single walled aftermarket chrome exhaust.

Taking the carbs of of ye old GS is much easier than your ZG1000.

Comment

Stock pipes. That's what made me wonder about the a/f screws.

Easier is not the word. I had the GS carbs out in less than 5 minutes. It takes longer to loosen the clamp screws on a Connie....I had those carbs out 3 or 4 times. Who would design a bike with NON replaceable brass seats? Man, those things were a PITA. Heck, taking them out of a Gold Wing is easier.

Yep, one at a time, got the trusty old manometer out so I can watch what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                  Fire the bike up & turn the screws in or out 1/4 turn at a time till the engine idles the fastest. Do one carb at a time then move to the next. If the engine speeds up a lot after doing one turn the idle down & move on to the next. You WILL be happy with the results! Ray.

OK, enlighten me o salty ones....

I have never done this (embarrassment). Im looking at my carbs and just after the boots from the engine, and right on top of the carbs, I believe those are the caps and screws. My caps appear to have tiny holes in them already. Am I on the right track ?
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                    OK, enlighten me o salty ones....

I have never done this (embarrassment). Im looking at my carbs and just after the boots from the engine, and right on top of the carbs, I believe those are the caps and screws. My caps appear to have tiny holes in them already. Am I on the right track ?
                    Dave, you are correct. It sounds like someone has already been in there (no surprise) and took the effort to reinstall the old caps. Remove them and throw them away...not needed.

Comment

Mine also appeared to have what looked like very, VERY tiny holes in them. I mean REALLY tiny. Did I say they were small?

No one had ever been in there, I drilled holes in and pulled them.
                      All four were 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns out.

Oh yeah-when you get the caps off put some solvent on the screws and let it sit before trying to turn the screws. They have a clear sealer on them so they won't move.

UPDATE:
                      Just got the carbs back from the welder, they fixed the float pivot shaft perch almost perfectly...fleeced my wallet perfectly, too!

With any luck I should get this thing started this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                        Dave, you are correct. It sounds like someone has already been in there (no surprise) and took the effort to reinstall the old caps. Remove them and throw them away...not needed.

Dave, I dont think so, Ive owned this since new and the only time its been in a shop was when the crank twisted in 1983 and when I was dumb enough to have Leos south in Lakeville give it a once over. Long story.

Im gonna stick a sheet rock screw in that little hole and see if they pop out............stay tuned.
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                          Dave, I dont think so, Ive owned this since new and the only time its been in a shop was when the crank twisted in 1983 and when I was dumb enough to have Leos south in Lakeville give it a once over. Long story.

Im gonna stick a sheet rock screw in that little hole and see if they pop out............stay tuned.
                          OOOOOOOHHHHHHH...well it's in the name, "when you take a bike in there, you're all but guaranteed that things will go SOUTH"! And with that being said, would it surprise you if they HAD messed with things! :-?

Comment

Working...
                          X