What oil do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What oil do you use?

I haven't changed the oil on my bike yet mostly due to the fact that I have not been able to find a place that has my filter locally. I'm not sure whats in there now, but I know I should be using 10W-40. I've read some things around here that say people are using oil made for diesel engines.

I was going to use Mobile 1 motorcycle oil because thats what my uncle uses in his enduro. I know basically nothing about oil so does anyone have any links or articles about oils? I've also seen people talking about "changing" to synthetic, is there anything special I have to do if I'm going to start using synthetic because the way people make it sound is that theres some special process involved in changing over to synthetic.

I would love to hear what you use, your opinions, your comments, and who knows, maybe we can even make a oil superthread out of this because oil debates seem to be a big thing.

On the advice of some in here I used the Rotella T 15/40 about 2 days ago. Next time I may use the 5/40 synthtic. I think I paid $10.50 for a gallon of the 15/40. You should be able to get the oil filter from all the usual suspects Bike Bandit, Babbits, Z1, etc...

I thinks any decent oil is fine. It all comes down to how often you have to change it. Changing every 1000 to 1500 miles, anything not energy conserving and the correct weight is going to be fine. If you want to stretch out to 2000 or 3000 then you probably should run synthetic.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2008, 12:02 PM.

Comment

This is the ongoing discussion on motorcycle pages and everyone has a different opinion. These old bikes ran fine on dino juice as that was all that was available back in the day. Synthetic will work ok too but why pay the premium. There is no advantage to it and infact some clutches don't like it.

Do what most do and buy the cheapest brand name in 10/40 and change it frequently (1000 to 1500 mile).

My 2 cents.

Cheers all,
      Spyug.

Comment

I run Rotella synthetic diesel engine oil because it has better high temperature lubricating abilities than dino oil, which is beneficial for an air cooled engine I think. If $16/gallon is too expensive for you, dino flavor diesel oil is about $10. Diesel oil has more high pressure additives, like zinc, than auto oil because they don’t have as many restrictions related to catalyst durability.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Diesel oil has been reformulated at the reduced zinc levels. The EPAs arm reacheth far...
          That is why you saw places like Wally World blowing out Rotella syn at cheap prices to make way for the new stuff. Compare the old label to the new. You will notice the API rating has changed.

Something I find odd....

Most folks don't even think about what oil to use in their $50K car or truck, etc, they just use what they always have. Some even go to Jiffy Lube (NOT THAT) and get that Pennzoil that clogs up your engine (my son used to work at a Jiffy Lube and he could tell you if a car was a regular there by looking under the oil cap).

OTOH, we buy a $500 dinosaur (or like my Guzzis a relic from a design as old as a dino) and suddenly we want the best danged oil we can find.

I don't get it...
          Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2008, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I like Castrol Syntec becasue it comes in a wide mouth container and doesn't have that foil seal to deal with. If they don't have it I just buy whatever has the wide mouth container...
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
              Diesel oil has been reformulated at the reduced zinc levels. The EPAs arm reacheth far...
              That is why you saw places like Wally World blowing out Rotella syn at cheap prices to make way for the new stuff. Compare the old label to the new. You will notice the API rating has changed.

Something I find odd....

Most folks don't even think about what oil to use in their $50K car or truck, etc, they just use what they always have. Some even go to Jiffy Lube (NOT THAT) and get that Pennzoil that clogs up your engine (my son used to work at a Jiffy Lube and he could tell you if a car was a regular there by looking under the oil cap).

OTOH, we buy a $500 dinosaur (or like my Guzzis a relic from a design as old as a dino) and suddenly we want the best danged oil we can find.

I don't get it...

I recently stocked up on the Rotella synthetic because it’s still the old formula at my local Walmart. Regardless of old or new, diesel oil still has more high pressure additives than auto oil. Speaking of auto oil, cars guys debate this topic as well – it’s just that those guys have less BS to wade through in terms of marketing gobbly gook than us motorcycle guys with our wet clutches and transmissions that share the engine oil. Regarding Penzoil, go to bobstheoilguy.com and do a search – Penzoil is not revered but it isn’t bashed either. That old business about it being “waxy” is old news and unfounded.
              Last edited by Nessism; 07-02-2008, 02:26 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've used both Rotella 5/40---15/40 and Motorcraft 15/40.

Like was mentioned above, most diesel oils are a better bet than regular old car oil. It has also been proven somewhere, that there was more additives in older diesel oil vs so-called bike oil.

5/40 has more zinc than the 15/40 flavor of Rotella. Zinc (zddp) doesn't tell the entire story though so keep that in mind.

I change my oil every 1000 miles just because.

As far as penzoil platnum I have seen 10000 mile UOA's come back strong and wouldn't hesitate to run it in my DD car. Castrol GTX was what was on sale so I stacked up on that for my DD.

Bike currently has motorcraft 15/40 and has achieved the best mpg so far and has shifted the smoothest it ever has. I will see how it feels at the 1000 mile mark.

Comment

Alright, I'm gonna hit the auto parts store after work and grab some oil. It says right on my crankcase "10W-40" but if you guys on here have used other stuff than I feel confident enough to use other stuff also. I think I'll give the motorcraft 15W-40 a try. Now to find some place that has a filter for my bike. Do you guys have any preferrence in oil filter?

Comment

Originally posted by Draketh View Post
                    Alright, I'm gonna hit the auto parts store after work and grab some oil. It says right on my crankcase "10W-40" but if you guys on here have used other stuff than I feel confident enough to use other stuff also. I think I'll give the motorcraft 15W-40 a try. Now to find some place that has a filter for my bike. Do you guys have any preferrence in oil filter?
                    I've never used the Fram they have at the auto parts store. Some people have had no problems, others claim the will fall apart on you. Should be in stock at the dealship if one near you (OEM), or can order online (the OEM one). OEM is the way to go on the filter I think. the 15/40 will be a TAD thick in really cold weather, but unless you live in anchorage, you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                      These old bikes ran fine on dino juice as that was all that was available back in the day.

True, but... very few oils available today have the same level of zinc that the dinos had in 1982. Getting less and less.

Comment

I use Castrol Active 4T dino and change oil AND filter every 5000km.Only used synthetic once and found that when the bike got very warm,I started to get some oil leaks.I think it was to do with detergents in that oil??Went back to dino and leaks all gone.Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

If you have a couple of hours to kill, use the search function and do a search on oil. You'll be blown away by the breadth and depth of the discussions.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T full synthetic for my 06 GSXR 750 racebike, changed after every track session, ie 4+ hours of constant 10-15k RPM. Cheap insurance.

Castrol Actevo semi-synthetic for the GS1000.

Comment

Working...
                          X