Carb "air screw" removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb "air screw" removal question

Looking at the CV breakdown pdf (thank you, again, BikeCliff and John Bloemer), it appears the Air Screw is being removed with a small phillips screwdriver. However, the surface of the air screw (shown in picture, below) on my carb is, well, smooth. Which gives me no place to remove it, of course.

Am I trying to remove the wrong thing, or am I doing something else wrong?

Additional note: that rusty stain drained from carb 2. Yes, that means I'll be re-examing the allegedly sealed gas tank among other things - AFTER I clean the carbs, but BEFORE I try to run the engine. And I am soooo looking forward to seeing what's INSIDE door, er, carb number 2.

It's hard to tell from your pic but there is an aluminum plug that covers the hole. You need to carefully drill it out or use a coarse screw to thread in the little hole and pull the plug out. The air screw is underneath the plug probably about 1/2". You'll need a good fitting flat blade screwdriver to get it out. Soak it real good before you try and remove it or you could damage the head.

Comment

Almarconi, thank you, that's it.

For later, am I going to have to worry about replacing those plugs? Especially since you're advising a somewhat destructive removal?

Comment

No, you won't have to worry. Those plugs are put there by EPA requirement to keep you from tuning your carburetor in such a way that your bike spits out too much pollution.

Just don't tell the EPA it doesn't have them or they might... Uh, er.. well...

Comment

On UK bikes that part, the air flow screw has a flat headed screwdriver slot to undo. No covers what so ever.

Suzuki mad
          Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2008, 12:46 PM. Reason: did we invent English. I certainly can't write it.

Comment

Working...
          X