Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a cricket in my engine?

Hi all! Awsome site!
    I recently purchased a 1982 GS650L/GL and really like it. I got it for a grand and it only needed fork seals. It even had new tires and the carbs were recently synct. It had about 5800 miles on it. It has about 7000 now. I have added a vetter fairing with the Cycle Sound radio system and lowers. I got the fairing and accessories for $150.00 (total steal) and I got some bags and a trunk.
    Anyway, I have a chirping sound coming from the engine at about 55-60 mph. It goes away at 70. It is possible that it is there at other speeds but just a different tone. Anyway, its driving me nuts!
    Any ideas?
    Many thanks

Get used to it...it's how you can tell the engine is still running. Without the fairing on, you may not even hear it. It is just one of those sounds that my bike makes and though there is no "real" explination as to what exactly it is...my thought is that it's reverb / resonance from the aluminum engine and it's assorted cooling fins. GREAT bike, you'll love it.

Welcome to the best site on the web...Basscliff, enter stage left!

Comment

Next time be more careful when removing the oil fill cap, quick little buggers aren't they?
      still they are no match for the rotating parts in there, so no worries...
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

That would be bit of a squeeze - 11 fielders, 2 batsmen and 2 umpires...... (you need to be English).

Probably your tappets making a healthy noise.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Wow! I didnt have that sound on my 77 GS750...., different engine though.
          As long as it isnt anything serious! Really odd though. It is more noticable with the fairing! I came to work today with the lowers off and it was a tad softer.
          While I am here, I have the two pipes on the left side (the side with the blinker/headlight control) that are turning a bit blue after riding. The other two are just the usual yellow-y looking color. Is this anything to worry about? The carbs were adjusted last summer.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            That would be bit of a squeeze - 11 fielders, 2 batsmen and 2 umpires...... (you need to be English).

Actually, I think that would also fly in India, NZ, Oz and a few other former colonies. I have also seen cricketers here in Mason. Thanks to Monty Python, I knew what was going on.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Don't have to be English, just have to have a "cultured" sense of humor.

Good One, by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by jdfet1 View Post
                Wow! I didnt have that sound on my 77 GS750..

While I am here, I have the two pipes on the left side (the side with the blinker/headlight control) that are turning a bit blue after riding. The other two are just the usual yellow-y looking color. Is this anything to worry about? The carbs were adjusted last summer.
                Most likely running lean on those two. Were the intake O-rings replaced ? If not and you know the carbs are set correctly and working...I'de start there. (always suggest a GOOD carb soak, though)

Comment

With a apologies to the commonwealth countries (or the old Empire?).

Of course, with our lot losing the last test to S Africa and throwing away victory in the previous test it's probably best not to be English.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Cricket is so BORING kind of like baseball, no wait, let me say a LOT like baseball.
                    Air cooled engines have all kinds of interesting sounds. Look at the tach and see what speed the enging is turning at that speed. Then check in all the other gears at that rpm and in neutral at that rpm. If it doesn't reoccur, I would bet on a harmonic that occurs from tires/engine/drivetrain that causes something to vibrate under the tank or from the frame. Check all the case mounts and the mounts for your fairing you might find the rubbing spot.

Comment

Good idea on checking it out in other gears. Tell me more about possibly running lean. Wouldnt it make more sence for it to run hotter if it was running rich?

Comment

Originally posted by jdfet1 View Post
                        Good idea on checking it out in other gears. Tell me more about possibly running lean. Wouldnt it make more sence for it to run hotter if it was running rich?
                        Nope...the more fuel you throw at the fire (with no more air to mix with it) the cooler it will burn. Think of this as an example...when lighting an oxy-acetylene torch, you can and should light it on the acetylene and then add in the oxygen. An acetylene flame only is very weak and burns dirty (lots of unburnt carbon). When you add in the oxygen (good air) the flame lightens in color to a blue flame and temps go up about 20X.

Check all your clamps. May be the o-rings on the back of the intake tubes.

Comment

Could one of the carbs be chirping? Maybe the one running to lean? I did pull the plugs and they all look fine. They are all the same color as well. Will the blue color go back to gold after things are straightened out? The previous owner had the carbs redone last summer so I am wondering if the blue is from then. Will the blue go away?

Comment

Has anyone thought of an exhaust leak?

Comment

Where do I check?

Comment

Working...
                              X