Reuse rockers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reuse rockers?

I'm going to replace my intake & exhaust cams with used ones soon and was wondering about the rockers. Is it necessary to replace them at the same time as the cams (just like how you never put used lifters in different bores or on a new flat tappet cam) or since the rockers seem to have been designed with some spring-loaded lateral float, can they be reused?

I have a little over 40K on the engine and while the intake is in good shape, the exhaust cam is scored. I bought the original rockers with the intake cam (thanks again, JGroves!) and thought I could use them on the exhaust. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    1981 GS750L
    1979 GS1000L

If you know which rocker goes with which cam lobe on the new exhaust cam then I would refit them as a matching pair. As they are already worn into each other.

Comment

Look at each of the running surfaces of the rockers. If you see any signs of wear, depression or change of colour in the running surface its best to change them. If you had a duff exhaust cam (due to oil failure at a guess check the oil strainer) its best to replace the ones that the cam lobes had failed on and scored up.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Thanks for the help! I'll order a new set of rockers for the exhaust & drop the pan. Since the exhaust lobes were grooved all the way around, do you think it was strictly an oiling issue? Before I adjusted the lash there was virtually no clearance on the exhaust valves, but intakes were on the low side of spec.

Also, Mrcycles.com shows the same part number for both sets of rockers. They were originally listed separately though. Are there any significant differences between the two?
        1981 GS750L
        1979 GS1000L

Comment

If the intake rockers that you got with the cams are good I would use them !!
          After you get it together run it, then check make sure oil is getting to the top end
          Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2008, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X