Cam Timing on a 1979 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Timing on a 1979 GS1000

1.Need to know what is the stock cam timing on a 1979 GS1000, 2 valve motor is . . . Right now its set at 107 intake, and 107 exhaust. . . It runs OK I guess, no pinging no hard starts, etc, It actually starts within a 1/2 second of pushing the start button in any weather . . .

2. What would be a good starting point for Cam timing on the same motor with a 1085 piston kit, 10.25:1 compression ratio.

3. What would be a good size aftermarket cam to put in it ? ? ?

Keep in mind I want to keep this a push button starting bike.

Never done it my self. 106 has been talked about. RapidRay should know for sure. Is it a street bike ? I would just leave it where it is...

Comment

No, this is going to be strictly for racing . . . want to get the most out of it right now, and build on it over the winter . . .

Comment

Do search and see if you can find the yoshimura gs1000 artical that is floating around. There was cam timing there. 109 i think int and exh.

Are you going to run stock over the bucket shims? if so the biggest and best cam you can use is the web 110 grind. Otherwise you need under the bucket shims.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Use the Web 110 grind & set the cams at 110 on the exhaust & 108 on the intake. When degreeing, do it at .050 lift opening & closing. If you can afford it, put 1 mm bigger intake AND exhaust valves in it with a RADIUS valve job, bronze guides, GOOD springs, TITANIUM retainers, & some porting. With a set of 38 mm Lectrons it should run deep in the 9s unless you weigh enough to require 2 cow leathers! LOL!! Make sure the FIRST thing you do is have the crank done by GRC or Pearson. PM me if you want honest, quality help on this. Good luck, Ray.

Comment

Pearson,
            has done a crank for me and my buddies in the past. I'm gonna take this one to him also, over the winter.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2008, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Use the Web 110 grind & set the cams at 110 on the exhaust & 108 on the intake. When degreeing, do it at .050 lift opening & closing. If you can afford it, put 1 mm bigger intake AND exhaust valves in it with a RADIUS valve job, bronze guides, GOOD springs, TITANIUM retainers, & some porting. With a set of 38 mm Lectrons it should run deep in the 9s unless you weigh enough to require 2 cow leathers! LOL!! Make sure the FIRST thing you do is have the crank done by GRC or Pearson. PM me if you want honest, quality help on this. Good luck, Ray.
              best pass on this set up is 10.33 so far, spinning off the line. .. . . Keep in concideration I'm weighing in @258 lbs. and waiting for that other cow, so I can get some pants made. . . .HAHAHAHA

Thanks for the input. . .

Comment

If that's a no wheelie bar setup, that's running GOOD at your weight! Even with a bar, at your weight it's STILL good! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                X