Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Master of it all.

jay
    There's a simple key to sucess with a chopper. Practice, practice and PRACTICE. :-) :-) Actually though, the secret is setup. If you dont know how to program the pitch, power, and torque curves together correctly, trying to fly it will keep you busier than a six handed monkey at a flea festival. :-) When everything is right on mine, I can put it in a hover 6 feet off the ground and put the transmitter down and walk away, and it will just sit there. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Jay B
    Damn them choppers are hard to fly.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Chopper

Earl,
      Many years ago I was into RC Trucks. In fact my son still has the Blackfoot and the dual motor 4 wheeled sterring thing. I was given a chopper by my ex father in law who got fedd up with it. I got it together and running but never flew it. Before I had time to learn it was off to another duty station so it got sent back to California. I've seen them fly and have flown gliders but thats about it. Oh yeah is there anything you don't do?????

Comment

Re: Chopper

Well Jay, for many years I have thought it would be a real hoot to
        drive a 57 chevy out the back door of a C-130, but I probably will never get the opportunity. :-)

Earl

Earl,
        Many years ago I was into RC Trucks. In fact my son still has the Blackfoot and the dual motor 4 wheeled sterring thing. I was given a chopper by my ex father in law who got fedd up with it. I got it together and running but never flew it. Before I had time to learn it was off to another duty station so it got sent back to California. I've seen them fly and have flown gliders but thats about it. Oh yeah is there anything you don't do?????

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          drive a 57 chevy out the back door of a C-130, but I probably will never get the opportunity. :-)
          I am curious about the minor details on this one. With or W/O parachute? Planning on landing on a large air bag? Do tell, perspirering minds want to know! Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

Damn them choppers are hard to fly.
            Hard to ride too, especially the hard tails....
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

HEy great ! Another RC Pilot!

[quote="earlfor"]Hey Gerry:

Sure nuff. RC airplanes and helicopters, though mostly heli's these past few years.

Earl

Nice to run into so many nice guys here and meet another modeler. I have been working as an editor for MAN magazine for 13 years! :roll: well someone has to do the dirty work right :roll: Anyway, if you'd like a free subscription let me know... this goes for anyone on the forum! just send me your mailing address and I'll set ya up for a 6 month sub or extension! :P
              Cheers to all,
              GY

PS: I even have two old RC motorcycle models!

Comment

Hmmm Bill, I was planning on having the parachute on me. :-)
                I bet I wouldnt be able to get collision ins on the chevy though.
                I wonder if I would have to pay impact fees to the DOT. :-)
                I think driving out the door at about 10,000 feet would make for a nice leisurely plummet......and yes, I insist my passengers buckle up. eh eh eh

Earl

Originally posted by Bill + Karen
                Originally posted by earlfor
                I am curious about the minor details on this one. With or W/O parachute? Planning on landing on a large air bag? Do tell, perspirering minds want to know! Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

Hi John,

I agree that a pulse generator is the best way of testing an electronic tachometer, but hoever if you have access to an oscilloscope and knowledge to use it, where is an other way.

If you connect the oscilloscope to the lead that comes from the coil you can calculate the frecency of that signal, 1/T equals frecency and multiplyed by 60 equals the revs of the engine, 4 cylinders, two coils, one spark every second turn for each cylinder, means one pulse each turn.

I tested my bouncing tach that way and could locate the problem to the three condensators (I dont know which one of them) on the ciruit board and replaced them, for a few bucks (for me kronor).

Comment

[quote="earlfor"]
                    .....When everything is right on mine, I can put it in a hover 6 feet off the ground and put the transmitter down and walk away, and it will just sit there. :-) :-)

Earl

Earl:

Please consider designing some R/C- (or gyroscopically-) controlled servo's for Scotty's bike. It's a darn shame that the only time Scotty passed through "The Valley of Shame" that is his driveway, he got rained on. With a little of your engineering ingenuity, you should be able to design some device to keep Scotty vertical.

I converted a Lindberg "Fletcher Class" destroyer model to R/C (and more speed) for my son a few years ago. We used to run it on our neighborhood pond to stimulate the wildlife into some semblance of activity. I was tempted to attach a spinner and go trolling for bass but feared that it had insufficient beam for fighting the "big one" (model is 3 feet long but only 3 1/2 inch max beam).

Simon

Comment

I have a friend that tried helicopter fishing. He tied a line with a hook and float to his landing skids and hovered over the water
                      30 yards from shore. well, he caught a small sea bass and you would be astounded at how much a 3 pound fish can upset the balance of a 14 pound helicopter. With a heli, you have 8 primary control movements, all of which must at all times be co ordinated and doing that coinciding to counter the movement of an unpredictable fish is just a wee tad difficult. :-)
                      LEAVE this sport to professionals, DO NOT try this at home. :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="Simon Waters"
                      I converted a Lindberg "Fletcher Class" destroyer model to R/C (and more speed) for my son a few years ago. We used to run it on our neighborhood pond to stimulate the wildlife into some semblance of activity. I was tempted to attach a spinner and go trolling for bass but feared that it had insufficient beam for fighting the "big one" (model is 3 feet long but only 3 1/2 inch max beam).

Simon[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by kz
                        Hi John,

I agree that a pulse generator is the best way of testing an electronic tachometer, but hoever if you have access to an oscilloscope and knowledge to use it, where is an other way.

If you connect the oscilloscope to the lead that comes from the coil you can calculate the frecency of that signal, 1/T equals frecency and multiplyed by 60 equals the revs of the engine, 4 cylinders, two coils, one spark every second turn for each cylinder, means one pulse each turn.

I tested my bouncing tach that way and could locate the problem to the three condensators (I dont know which one of them) on the ciruit board and replaced them, for a few bucks (for me kronor).
                        Karl, that is an excellent idea! What was the amplitude of the pulse in volts?

Hap

Comment

Hi Hap!

I am afraid I cant remember the exact voltage of the pulse, but I remeber using x10 probe so probably not more than 12V, the pulse itself is not completely clean but it is clean enough to get a good trigging and possibility to read the periodtime.

It is much easier if you have sombody else to keep the engine at a steady speed (revs) and you make all the readings on the oscilloscope.

Comment

Originally posted by kz
                            Hi Hap!

I am afraid I cant remember the exact voltage of the pulse, but I remeber using x10 probe so probably not more than 12V, the pulse itself is not completely clean but it is clean enough to get a good trigging and possibility to read the periodtime.

It is much easier if you have sombody else to keep the engine at a steady speed (revs) and you make all the readings on the oscilloscope.
                            Hey Karl, you actually answered my real question...if a 10x probe was needed! Thanks for the great info!

Hap

Comment

You are welcome Hap,

Hap, if you really are going to meassure the tacho signal I would be interssed to here what shape your signal has and if you can see any difference if you connect the probe to lead at the coil or the same lead att the tacho according to disturbance.

The reason I ask is that I belive that it is important how the lead is wired the way from the coil up to the tacho.

Just for the record, all the messasurements I am describing here are on the primary side of the coil and not at the Plug side.

Comment

Working...
                              X